Scotish stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
So I wanted to try and brew a scottich for the first time. The OG was only 1.052 and I used Wyeast Scottish Ale Yeast (w/o a starter) and that dropped it to 1.023. I wanted to lower the gravity even more so I added a wyeast london ale yeast w/o a starter and it didn't seem to lower the gravity at all I know I had the temperature right. Do you think its because I didn't use a starter? I need help. Im thinking about just going to a lagering yeast and leaving it in my garage because I don't have the ability to keep it warm any more. So...Do you think all this yeast will affect the beer taste, will a lager with an ale yeast matter and why the heck didn't the second yeast addition drop the gravity. ANY INSIGHT WILL HELP.

What's yer grainbill like? I don't think it's impossible if you've got a lot of unfermentable specialty grains or maybe mashed it out at one-sixty to have a finish gravity not too far away from 1023 with something like a Scottish 80. They're sposeta be My-Te-Malty.

I could be wrong, of course, and if I am somebody more knowledgeable will correct me ... right?

How's the weather down in RoBu these days? You guys getting to share this little blast of warm weather?

--Finn

thanks for the response. I was unaware that some specilty grains were unfermentable. I know their supose to be very malty but I was thinking it would be My-Te-Alcoholic also. If its very malty I wold think there is still lots of sugar within it that is still fermentable. I'm far from an expert though.

We are also enjoying the weather down here in the 'Burg. After all that snow any sort of warmth feels good. Were starting to get a brew club going down here as well, which is pretty exciting.

Back