New control panel: brewtroller and raspberry pi inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goingmad

Reaction score
Cheers to all!

My current control panel is a real mess!
It's working, but every time I need to change or fix something I have to move like an elephant in a glass shop!

Photo%20May%2019%2C%206%2021%2036%20PM.jpg

At the heart of my build there is the brewtroller, microcomputer devoted to brewing, and I love it. 2 March 809 pumps (220V model), 7-9 motorized valves (depending on the setup I've used), 2 LP Banjo burners for HLT and BK, Herms coil in HLT (planning to move it in a smaller specific kettle. All my kettles are actually 26 gal each.

What I don't like in my control panel:
- Poor enclosure quality
- Small switches
- Small LCD as cp display
- Maintenance very hard in the "spaghetti style" wirings inside the cp

What I'm planning to do:
- An integrated 10" touchscreen lcd
- Bigger switches with led light
- Better enclosure
- DIN mounting for all the components inside the cp
- Terminal blocks for better wiring layout
- Alarm light
- Emergency stop button

I've started designing my cp new layout

cp_new.003.jpg

Not 100% complete, but from this the new approach should be clear enough.

This is the steel enclosure chosen:
link

R584003-91.jpg

These are the switches bought from the aliexpress marketplace
link
link

As for the Bretroller, I've chosen to make a major upgrade, buying the new Opentroller DX1, more hw features enclosed and DIN mount ready

link
DSC_0077.JPG

The Brewtroller/Opentroller can be connected from the live brewtroller website
link
But you need to be Internet connected to have access to it. I've decided to avoid Internet and to to direct connect the Opentroller to the Raspberry PI, with a short network cable.
Raspberry link
Raspi_Iso_Blue.png

A light webserver running in the rpi should run properly the live brewtroller website. The live brewtroller web app has been developed by a Brewtroller user and given from the friendly people from brewtroller people (Thanks JC!) upon request.

A main aspect is the 10" touchscreen lcd, but I've found a nice answer right after a few clicks in the Web.
link
47903561.jpg

It connects to the Raspberry PI hdmi exit and can also power the rpi. Received it last week and had it connected properly to the rpi immediately. Doing some tests in these days to find the best sw solution as virtual keyboard. Matchbox is the fist actually testing.
link

This image just to give a general view
Photo%2006-12-12%2016%2035%2036.jpg

As for the control panel cover, I'll go with the ponoko laser cut service (link) as already successfully did from others, the blackheartbrewery guys among the others
link
13.JPG

Keep tuned, more updates soon!

gm

I'm in the process of designing a automated rig. I am interesting in what you are doing, please keep us updated. And when you get it working if you don't mind posting links to the code that you are using for the light web server and the like.

I am hoping that the brewtroller 3.0 might have a decent GUI interface option that could simplify this, but if it doesn't this will be a source of inspiration when upgrade day rolls around.

Hi ToV,

I know the Brewtroller people are working on a touchpanel interface as well, but I really want to do a sort of it with a diy approach.

As for the light webserver, installing it in the raspberry pi is very easy. lighttpd is my first choice. I need to test it better in the next few days, but the live brewtroller seems to run properly.

Be sure I'll post any updates here!

GoingMad,

I see how it is, you can finish your automated build and then make it even better before I finish mine. Great ideas and I'll be watching :) I like the Pi use for an all in one control panel.

GoingMad,
I am curious to know about how much you paid in import taxes when you ordered your switches and enclosure, how long did the shipping take? BTW you have an awsome setup. :mug:

GoingMad,
I am curious to know about how much you paid in import taxes when you ordered your switches and enclosure, how long did the shipping take? BTW you have an awsome setup. :mug:

Switches shipped on Oct 15th and received on late November, longer than usual due some Chinese holiday in that period. No import taxes paid, but I live in Italy. It could be different in your state. Aliexpress.com is terrific about prices, hard to resist to so many deals for us, diy lovers!

The enclosure has been bought from a local online reseller, such as this in US, so no taxes for it.

Currently I'm building a fermentation chamber as a #1 priority, so the new CP is in a unchanged status until the other build is finished, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Talking about the upcoming CP, some little troubles with the touchscreen, but didn't pay much attention to it until now.

@Squeeky, how about your build?

Well all my parts are in and things mounted in enclosure. Bought a new kettle for two tier just haven't had time to finish.
Managing retail in the holidays isn't so fun, but I found out I won't have a job at the end of the month. I'll have plenty of time starting Jan 29th.

Goingmad - Ive been thinking about doing something similar, although possibly using a beagleboard-xm, a daq board and proview

What Im curious about though, is how you plan on mounting that touch panel to your box? I would like mine to look seemless, but Im not sure on two things

1 - mounting to enclosure cover
2 - edging between lcd and enclosure

Your touchscreen looks slighlty different than the ones Ive been looking at over on mouser, similar price, but they actually have them instock the ones on mouser dont have the black edge, instead they look like you just disassembled a laptop

Sorry for the long delay in being back, winter-newborn-job...

Hopefully I'm retaking control of some spare time and making some progress in my new CP build.

@ryane: same doubts here, still not sure how to better fit touchscreen and cover panel. Taking a look around on other projects. Did you find a suitable solution yet
@Ruprect: it surely should be, if I ever finish it! :D
@cat007: currently starting to test the wirings among DX1, switches, relays and valves. Placing items on DIN rails too. Still have to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Some fast updates about the CP build.

Sent to the ponoko service the .eps files for having cut the 3mm black acrylic CP front panel, in which should fit the Brewtroller lcd, the touchscreen above shown, the encoder, the valves/pumps/burners switches, the main power switch and the alarm buzzer.

Here is how the acrylic panel should be cut by ponoko

cp_w_ts.jpg

As asked by ryane, I have some doubts on how to place and retain the touchscreen in its window on the CP. I've decided to try with a "sandwich" approach, with a full frame over it on the front side and other smaller frames on the internal side for the corners and the area sorrounding the screws' holes.
Circular holders in two different sizes and a few LCD faceplates find also place on this 3mm transparent acrylic cuts.

Shorter to show than to explain

cp_frames.jpg

If of any help, these are the original .eps files:

cover
frames

More updates soon.

gm

A little step beyond, the cp cover, cut from an acrylic 3mm sheet by the ponoko service

some images just to show what I've received

IMG_20130521_094619.jpg

IMG_20130521_144755.jpg

IMG_20130521_144828.jpg

IMG_20130521_144915.jpg

IMG_20130521_144922.jpg

IMG_20130521_144935.jpg

Since the text labels were masked, I've tried to spray paint in white. Not full satisfied with the result, can do better next time.

IMG_20130525_114541.jpg

a switch put in place, just to see if it fits well.

IMG_20130525_114733.jpg

I've Had Success/Cheap w/ Ebay For Steel & S/S Enclosure Cabinets, Hoffman
Make Sure They Come w/Backplane or If You Have Some Plexiglass or Lexan Works Very Good, If You Want a
Color Backplane Then Spray Paint The Backside Of Lexan.

Whats going on with this? I really would like to know more details about your touchscreen interface.

I wanted to do the same thing with the screen, do you think if I added the RPI and the touchscreen it wouldn't allow my to control off my iPad too?

Hello guys,

still no time to proceed as I'd like, here ya go with the requested answers...

@kickflip: in order to use also your iPad, your RPI should act as a server. I still have to look at the new apps now available in the App Store interacting with the BrewTroller. In my mind a touchcreen is a real killer in such kind of cp. Let's see if and when I'll reach my targets!

@PLC-Guy: 100% on your statement, I've bought a metal backplane as cabinet option. Rails positioning for the DIN components will be one of the next step.

Hope to give updates quite soon... :mug:

How did you get the RPI to interact with the Brewtroller as its ethernet module?

You have to install in the RPI the following software:

- a lightweight web server (let's say Lighttpd is ok for that)

The RPI should operate as a gateway router, in order to talk in the right way with the brew troller. The brewtroller should be configured with a static IP and the same IP must be set in the web page of the brewtroller web app.

If you need to access the RPI web server from your iPad, so in wifi, I think you should add an usb wifi dongle to the RPI, connecting it to your wireless network. You access the RPI's IP from your Safari's iPad and you should see the brewtroller web app shown. Just be sure to put the brewtroller web app files in the main web server root, or another subfolder. Just remember to access the right folder or subfolder.

You have to install in the RPI the following software:

- a lightweight web server (let's say Lighttpd is ok for that)

The RPI should operate as a gateway router, in order to talk in the right way with the brew troller. The brewtroller should be configured with a static IP and the same IP must be set in the web page of the brewtroller web app.

If you need to access the RPI web server from your iPad, so in wifi, I think you should add an usb wifi dongle to the RPI, connecting it to your wireless network. You access the RPI's IP from your Safari's iPad and you should see the brewtroller web app shown. Just be sure to put the brewtroller web app files in the main web server root, or another subfolder. Just remember to access the right folder or subfolder.

Wow thank you so much for the detailed response! this will really help me out a lot.

When you mounted the monitor, why didnt you just drill through the plastic edge of the monitor?

Wow thank you so much for the detailed response! this will really help me out a lot.

When you mounted the monitor, why didnt you just drill through the plastic edge of the monitor?

If you mean the bt lcd display, I'd prefer to have it full protected with an acrylic layer, it's not touchscreen...

As soon as I have time to test the two boards together I'll post here an update. I'd also suggest you to take a look at the recent updates in brewtroller world, I've seen there is now an app available on App Store. Maybe with just a couple of bucks you have something ready you may need.

https://itunes.apple.com/gw/app/brewtroller-live/id592823684?mt=8

I'm sorry I ment the display from chalkboard. I was going to buy the one from adfruit but they where sold out

Ok, not sure mine is the perfect solution, but had a look at the touchscreen ad thought this approach could be less stressfull for the display. Think about it as a first build so complex for me, so until I find the final stage it could be needed a build-test-correctwhatswrong approach...

I'm in the same boat as you. After doing lots of research and talking to a past employee that runs the raspberry pi program. The chalkboard monitor seemed to be the best choice. From the impression I got from the adfruit monitor, I would have to config the display to work properly with the RPI. I really wanted something that would work effortlessly. (The more crap that doesn't work perfectly, the more hectic a brew day could be).

What did you have to send ponoko to get the cover cut? Also what are you planning for the rest of the enclosure. Im looking to redo my entire enclosure and curious how you got that done and what was the cost

@Adeering
The cost for the material + cut with Ponoko here in Italy was around Euros 20,00, convert it in USD and you should have a comparable value for your US cost.
If you take a look at my post #13 in this thread, you'll find the .eps files sent to ponoko for the cut. Feel free to use them if you may need.
In my post #1 you'll see the chosen steel enclosure, heavy and big enough to have all the components well placed inside.

Thanks for the reply, i might have missed it, but do you have any pics of the enclosure with the new lid on it? Also how did you attach the panel?

Great thanks. Now the hamster wheels are in overdrive. Guess I can sleep some other night. Could you use the beagle board?

When you got the panel back did you just cut the front of your enclosure open and bolt the new piece on?

@Adeering and Kickflip: I've not cut the front panel yet, but I'll do it making some holes for bolts. If you see my design, there are holes in the new front panel just for that.

@ReuFroman: Raspberry PI or Beagleboard would have been the same, I'm sure also that nice object would well do its job. All the brewing processes will be managed by the Opentroller, the RPI has been introduced to improve the stand alone usability of the system.

Currently I have some troubles with my Opentroller DX1, the ethernet interface is not working in the standard way, as expected for the board. Talking with oscsys team to find a suitable solution in order to proceed with this build.

Keep tuned!

Ok this RPI is pissing me off... I cant get it to connect wirelessly and live.brewtroller.com wont operate properly. What did you do to get brewtroller looking and functioning properly?

Ok this RPI is pissing me off... I cant get it to connect wirelessly and live.brewtroller.com wont operate properly. What did you do to get brewtroller looking and functioning properly?

What is the problem with connecting to the RPi wirelessly? Can you connect to it in headless way using SSH/Putty over an ethernet connection to your LAN? Are you using a WiFi USB dongle (e.g. Edimax) to connect?

What is the problem with connecting to the RPi wirelessly? Can you connect to it in headless way using SSH/Putty over an ethernet connection to your LAN? Are you using a WiFi USB dongle (e.g. Edimax) to connect?

I managed to get the brewtroller live to work, but the wireless is pissing me off. I am using a LB link wireless usb adapter that is supposed to work with the PI. it keeps bumping me out after trying to connect

Back