good way to get into lagering on a budget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
looking for a good way to get into lagering on a budget?

Keeping fermentation down in the 50's as recommended without spending thousands on a walk-in freezer/frig.

I know you can put a johnson control on a frig, but alot of frigs have a hump bottom, and some wont even hold a 6 gallon carboy. Realistically, I'd like something that holds ATLEAST two 6 gallon carboys.

any ideas? :tank: :drunk:

Most kegerator fridges will hold at least two carboys. That is what I use. Chest freezers are also always for sale on Craigslist. Lastly you can put a raised bottom in a standard fridge to get around the hump. Build it up with bricks, or wood, or whatever and then put a shelf in the bottom at the height of the hump. I guarantee you most of us have not spent thousands on a lagering set-up.

johnson control on a chest freezer.... yeah that probably is the best way to go huh? 200-400 on the freezer, and 100 on the control

johnson control on a chest freezer.... yeah that probably is the best way to go huh? 200-400 on the freezer, and 100 on the control

Your temp controller doesn't need to cost 100, there's a ton of threads on here by those of us who wire up a 25 dollar ebay temp controller.

Lager outside in the winter.

Yep, I have a thread about that, Ugly junk 2012, Ghetto Lagering Chamber.

Oh it has my wiring for the ebay temp controller in thete.

are there controllers you can buy like this that people have built? for the not electrically savy

You can get an analog Johnson for about $65 but the DIY ebay are actually better and they really aren't that hard to rig up. You can save a good $30 and learn a new skill.

where's a good writeup on this ebay controller? i need lots of details, im not an electrical guru by any means

Send me a PM. I can't seem to send you one.... (full inbox or something)

okay, im an idiot...I bought a johnson control off ebay for cheap (20bucks) new.... probably is I got this version. http://www.johnstonesupply.com/storefront/johnson%20controls/hvacr-parts/controls/air-conditioning-refrigeration-controls/temperature/hvacr-parts/controls/air-conditioning-refrigeration-controls/temperature//prodL39-487.html

This is the damn 100f-240f degree version!

Second....even if this could be adjusted down to work (which i dont know if it can) ... i have no idea how to wire this. It makes no sense. And this is no documentation anywhere online with pictures for idiots like me.

Now, what

For what it's worth, my wife bought me a counter-height fridge at a yard sale for $20 that, after cutting out the shelving, fits a 6-gallon Better Bottle perfectly. The internal thermostat went up to 48 degrees at the lowest setting, so I used it as a lager fermentation and cold conditioning fridge until I got a temp controller for it.

okay, im an idiot...I bought a johnson control off ebay for cheap (20bucks) new.... probably is I got this version. http://www.johnstonesupply.com/storefront/johnson%20controls/hvacr-parts/controls/air-conditioning-refrigeration-controls/temperature/hvacr-parts/controls/air-conditioning-refrigeration-controls/temperature//prodL39-487.html

This is the damn 100f-240f degree version!

Second....even if this could be adjusted down to work (which i dont know if it can) ... i have no idea how to wire this. It makes no sense. And this is no documentation anywhere online with pictures for idiots like me.

Now, what

I'd keep it around anyway. You should be able to use it if you go all electric on your brew rig.

Back