Meadowfoam mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebrew1

Reaction score
I just started my first mead. 5 gallons made with 12 lbs meadowfoam honey. I was thinking of using some medium toast oak in secondary and possibly vanilla beans in the secondary. Any suggestions? Has anyone used meadowfoam honey, if so does it keep its vanilla /toasted marshmallow nose after fermentation?

would love to try it. keep us informed. Did you get the honey local?

Flyingbeeranch it was mail order but they are great. I actually placed another order today for some pumpkin honey.

I see. I was wondering because my go to bee keeper has some that he just calls wildflower or marsh flower ( we live on the Atlantic marsh) and it always has this frothy head on the top. There isn't a distinctive flavor but it is very aromatic and he says it's good for allergies.

blue let me know if you want to do some trading. I'm in apex.

Tyrone sounds good. I have only beer right now as this is my first attempt at mead. I also have never had mead so not sure what to expect. it tasted good when I racked and took a Hydrometer reading.

How did this come out? Is there a yeast that helps bring out the marshmellow in the honey?

I bottled Monday but havent tried it yet. I split the batch into several "sample batches".

Plain
Oaked
Strawberry
Vanilla
Carbonated oaked

I'll drink one this weekend since I'm on nights now

I'd love to hear how this turned out!!! Ive also been looking into the flying bee ranch and specifically at their Meadowfoam, Blackberry, Pumpkin, and Carrot Blossom honeys. I envision a semi sweet Meadowfoam metheglin with vanilla beans...god that sounds delightful.

mhenry41h said:
I'd love to hear how this turned out!!! Ive also been looking into the flying bee ranch and specifically at their Meadowfoam, Blackberry, Pumpkin, and Carrot Blossom honeys. I envision a semi sweet Meadowfoam metheglin with vanilla beans...god that sounds delightful.

I made your envisioned semisweet Meadowfoam metheglin with vanilla beans...the second batch of mead I made almost three years ago (the first one being JMAO) and I used FlyingBee honey. Utterly delicious. Unfortunately I was too much of a newbie to write down what I did, but I know it was 3#/gallon with two split 6" Madagascar beans/gallon once SG had dropped by 2/3. Think I used Cote de Blanc, and backsweetened but I cannot recall to what point.

Sara

saramc said:
I made your envisioned semisweet Meadowfoam metheglin with vanilla beans...the second batch of mead I made almost three years ago (the first one being JMAO) and I used FlyingBee honey. Utterly delicious. Unfortunately I was too much of a newbie to write down what I did, but I know it was 3#/gallon with two split 6" Madagascar beans/gallon once SG had dropped by 2/3. Think I used Cote de Blanc, and backsweetened but I cannot recall to what point.

Sara

Sarah, do you think the marshmallow flavors of meadowfoam honey was present in your final product?

I split my batch and some of it was with vanilla beans. Out of all the splits that is the best.

Back