2.5 gallon brew condensed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
Is it possible in a 2.5 gallon brew to boil say 1 1/2 gallons and add cold water at the end of the brew to cool it down and bring the temp. down as well?

My brew pot is only 2.5 gallons. So, is it feasible to cut down on boil time and cool of time?

Just make sure your cold water has been previously boiled and I think this is okay. Haven't tried it myself though.

In my first couple beers, I had the Mr. Beer keg fermenter which is about 2.5 gallons. I used to boil a gallon or so of water add a half a 3lb can of Liquid malt extract and a half oz of hops. After an hour, I'd add the rest of the can and the hops.

I would cool that in an ice bath and pour in Mr. beer Fermenter and top off with cold water. I got never did boil the cold water.

Thats how I managed small batches with a small boil pot. Of course, I quickly moved up to 5 gallon batches, because it takes the same effort and time, but you make so much more.

Back