a Wee Heavy Birthday brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfov

Reaction score
My girlfriend really digs the malty scotch ales, so for her birthday we're going to attempt to brew a Wee Heavy. We've only done preassembled extract kits w/steeping so far, so this is our first crack at making our own recipe. any advice/tweaks would be appreciated!

steep:
1lb crushed crystal
1oz roasted barely

7.5lbs of dry light extract

1oz of chinook @ 60min
1oz of kent goldings @ 60min

3 gallon boil
5 gallon batch
estimated og: 1.070
estimated fg: 1.020
color: 27 HCU (14 SRM)
bitterness: 31 IBU
estimated alcohol : 6.5%

Right off the bat I would drop the chinook and up the goldings by about a 1/2 oz; scotchs shouldn't have much bitterness or hop character and your IBUs are a little high for the style. Second, I would add some chocolate malt or black patent to your steeping grains to get some additional darkness to your color and add some flavor complexity. Finally, I would up your extract a bit, scotchs are all about the malt and your OG is a little low for the style.

Anyway, those are my thought, someone else might have more ideas for you.

FWIW, here's the version i'll be brewing up this weekend:

Wee Ale X #3
9-E Strong Scotch Ale

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 311.97 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.093 (1.070 - 1.130)
Terminal Gravity: 1.023 (1.018 - 1.030)
Color: 15.2 (14.0 - 25.0)
Alcohol: 9.23% (6.5% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 23.22 (17.0 - 35.0)

Ingredients:
1 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt
2 oz Peated Malt
2.5 oz Roasted Barley
9.9 lbs Dry Light LME
.5 oz Northdown (8.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.75 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.75 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

The IBUs are in the style range (per BeerTools), but I will likely drop the aroma hops as the style guidelines indicate very little hop presence, rather they take a back seat to the huge maltiness

thanks for the advice! i've been using the beer recipator and it seems the style ranges are a little different from the beertools. didn't make many extreme changes but this sounds pretty good now.

steep:
1lb crushed crystal
1oz roasted barely
6oz american chocolate (if the local shop has british i'll get that instead)

8.25lbs of dry light extract

2oz of kent goldings @ 60min

wyeast scottish ale yeast

3 gallon boil
5 gallon batch
estimated og: 1.080
estimated fg: 1.020
color: 52 HCU (22 SRM)
bitterness: 19 IBU
estimated alcohol : 7.5%

thanks again, this forum rules!
:rockin:

made up a starter so the brewing starts soon! any last minute changes/advice? gotta make a run up to the LHBS anyways, i forgot to buy a grain bag!!

Don't drink it too soon! Try to keep it to a bottle a month until at least Halloween. I promise it'll be worth it :mug:

ended up using a little bit less malt, with most of it as a late addition to try and get better utilization out of 1.5oz of hops(didn't notice it was a half oz till i got home grrrr)

it's been in primary almost 3 weeks now, it's only down to 1.040. hit some temp issues, first too cold in the basement(it snowed), now a little warm in the spare closest(70+ outside). had to move it due to the cold, it had barely dropped after the first two weeks, it was around 1.060 so i babied it for the next week. at that time it smelled and tasted sickly sweet. this sample smells and tastes great! i can NOT wait to taste this carbed up.

i currently don't have anything to secondary in, should i just leave it a little longer and try to get it to drop a couple more points(if it will) or would racking to a carboy be a better idea?

Back