Re-used Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebull

Reaction score
I have read plenty about this topic, however, as I reclaimed my yeast from the primary fermenter it looks different than I expected. The quart bottle of yeast/trub has four distinct layers. Top to bottom is a foam layer, a rather dark brown layer, a large merky layer, and what I think is the yeast layer on the bottom. The yeast is about 1/2 inch deep, while the two top ones are quit thin. The middle layer is three inches deep and I expect that is the trub.

What should I do at this point? I have placed the jar in the fridge since I will not be using the yeast for five or six days. I do plan to make a starter when I brew. What part of the contents should I put in the starter?

my previous advise was based on the yeast container had been placed in the refrigerator for a couple days.
If you wait a couple days after its been in the frig you'll easily see the yeast.

I believe the yeast is the top layer. At least it is in the secondary.

But, I just pour the whole bunch into the starter. All that gunk didn't hurt the last beer. And the last batch had 10 times as much total. So the second batch will have 11 times as much. Big hoo-hoo.

Decanting is just dumping beer. It doesn't do anything about infections, which is the most critical thing. Any infections will be all through it.

The yeast is the milky top layer.

I take two 1 quart canning jars, pour the culture from the primary into one, top with boiled and cooled water, swirl, and let stand for 10 minutes. Then pour off the top yeast in suspension into the other jar and repeat the process until most of the trub is gone. I cap and put into the fridge. Clearly, sanitation is paramount.

Back