Kombucha additives/flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoughtsonhops

Reaction score
Anyone tried adding fruit or herbs to Kombucha, on a homebrew scale. I was at a beer fest a couple weeks ago and they had 5 "flavors" of Kombucha, I really liked the rosemary. What sort of ingredients have you tried?

I just tried apricot in my last batch, it was good but not great.

Do a search on this site....there are a few people who have had great success with Kombucha.

Well I did search on this site and didn't find much about adding flavors to Kombucha.
I bottled three flavors. The first with pineapple juice from a can. The second, fresh lemon-balm and rosemary from the garden. The third ginger and fresh lavender. In a few more days I'll pop 'em open and see how they turned out.

My favorite was ginger and lemon when I was making kombucha. Some of my other favorites were strawberry, cantaloupe, and watermelon. I just used watermelon juice and not the flesh.

In college, I used to make an intensely spiced "kombu cola" with molasses, fresh ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and much more. I was brewing two 5 gal buckets (not full) and I just could not keep up with it, so I wanted something that would age well, and complement the high-acidity.
Very unique... never as good as a light, fresh and fizzy brew, but it's a good use for kombucha that's getting too strong and too prolific, and I could shelve it for months and it only improved.

Back