Heating Element Below Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesnbeers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy. Most (all) of the electric systems that Ive seen have the element in the pot. Does anyone have an example of a system that has the element below kind of like an electric stove top? I plan on doing 3 to 5 gallon batches outside with the BIAB or 3 vessel methods.

Thanks!

Just noticed that he removed all of his pics; pm him and he still might have them somewhere though. He did what you are talking about-- scavenged an old electric cooktop and configured it to work for electric brewing.

Here you go:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/lives-stovezilla-born-177317/

I've used this for several brews now and it works great - no problem getting 8 gallons to a hard boil and maintaining it for 60 - 90 minutes. With three burners each with continuously variable controls I have total control of the boil. The only disadvantages are that it's not as efficient as having an element in the kettle, so there's more heat dissipated into the room (if indoors) and if it has been a while since the last brew, I have to turn off the GFCI breaker and turn on the normal breaker (have both mounted in parallel in the spa panel) to burn the moisture out of the elements (takes about 10 minutes) before I can use the GFCI. Neither of these is a big deal to me and I'm very happy with Stovezilla (or maybe I should call it "Mickey"). :)

Back