Where to buy a Sanke keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I keep hearing about all these brewers converting sanke kegs into keggles, but where do they get them? Where do I buy a keg to be turned into a keggle?

Or you can have some great friends like me and have some given to you.

3Kegs.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I've noticed a bunch of large kegs piled behind a local pub, is it common practice for them to sell those?

I just called a local brewery near me (Boston Area), and they offered to sell me some of their decommissioned kegs for 12 dollars per. That's not too bad if you ask me. However, they are "european barrels" so they are only 13.2 gallons instead of the 15.5 gallons of american half barrels. Other than that they're pretty sweet. I suggest you call up your local brewery if you are looking for sanke kegs to turn into keggles or mash/lauter tuns.

I just called a local brewery near me (Boston Area), and they offered to sell me some of their decommissioned kegs for 12 dollars per. That's not too bad if you ask me. However, they are "european barrels" so they are only 13.2 gallons instead of the 15.5 gallons of american half barrels. Other than that they're pretty sweet. I suggest you call up your local brewery if you are looking for sanke kegs to turn into keggles or mash/lauter tuns.

$12 per? Thats pretty awesome.

That is a pretty good price!

If you are just going to boil water and maush and stuff in them, it should be okay!

I've got a 13.2 gallon keggle and am a bit disappointed that I would have a very difficult time doing 10 gallon batches.
With boil off etc., I need about 13 gallons of boiling wort minimum. It's cutting it too tight I think.
If I could do it again, I would get an American 15.5 gallon just so I could do a 10 gallon batch if I wanted to.

Back