Just had my first bottle bomb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellTap

Reaction score
I both bottle and keg, I bottle mainly for mobility or if I spend time up in the man cave and don't want to make a trip downstairs to the keg. The 22oz bottles i've bought from my lhbs have never failed, even after a drop on the concrete. I have received a lot of small name brand beer bottles over time and decided to use some. I would imagine the guys that make them have the pressure issue down to a science for whatever beer they are selling so the glass meets a certain rating. I suppose this is how bottle bombs become popular due to over carbonation or pressure. I've never used them before and never experienced the aftermath. It happened sometime during the night. Next morning beer was basically everywhere. I went ahead and put the rest of them in a large plastic storage container in case more fireworks go off.

What was your priming rate? Were all the commercial bottles completely cleaned prior to bottling?

I bottled 7 6packs, they were all 12oz bottles and I put approx 3/4 teaspoon of table sugar each. All bottles were soaked in oxy clean, scrubbed with a bottle brush on a power drill, rinsed, heat sanitized, starsan, tree dry for a few min then filled and capped. I bottled them last Sunday the 7th in the evening and found the bomb yesterday morning.

Back