The greatest beer of all time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
demotivational-posters-zombies.jpg

But the IPA scene has become crazy huge and just when you think no more room can be had, there is another one to try! :D

You'll want to avoid Widmer

To make clear, this was a response to people afraid of breweries partially owned by AB. To make remilard's point, check out this beauty from Widmer:

Nelson Imperial IPA

For me, the best bang for buck is probably gonna be something like Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, or some other seasonal from them. This doesn't mean it is the best, but Torpedo sells for about $1/bottle, sometimes less, and is better than about any mid-priced, widely available beers I can think of.

Definitely not my favorite beer though.

Boulevard Wheat. I know it's not the best beer out there, but for me it was the first non-AB beer I ever drank and I've been hooked on good beer ever since.

I've really started to enjoy "red IPAs". maybe it just has a bit more malt flavor that i enjoy. One thing i am finding out is that most beers over 9%abv i tent not to enjoy as much, most of them i can taste the "hot" alcohol flavor.

i really enjoy
most rogue beer(newport OR)
avery brewing (boulder, CO)
DFH 60 min

on a side not I find that I really have to be in the mood to drink a IPA to really appreciate it. I've have a IPA one day and loved it and have the same beer another day, and not so much.

on a side not I find that I really have to be in the mood to drink a IPA to really appreciate it. I've have a IPA one day and loved it and have the same beer another day, and not so much.

Have you considered what it is paired with? One of the most important things I find when drinking a flavorful beer is making sure I pair it with something complimentary. Sure, I drink em out in the garage too, but your perception of the beer changes depending on what accompanies it. That is why you can have two beers from the same batch that taste different, (not the only reason though) a day or two apart.

Try it. Spicy, sweet, tart, bitter all give the beer you are drinking something different.

Around here, Longhammer is a good value beer. Usually $1 less per 6 pack than other big craft IPAs and it's not a bad drink. I still don't think it's the best, even from a value perspective. I might go with Sam Adams Black Lager there.

I am all about a good German-style lager or an over hopped IPA ... BUT, if I am tossing cost into the equation then I have to go with either Genny Cream Ale or Narrangansett Lager.

.........best beer ever.....but must be cheap.......WTF?????

Stone vertical epic 080808 is the best beer I have ever had.

My top 5:

1. Avery Maharaja
2. Pliny the Elder
3. DogfishHead 90 minute
4. Logsdon Farmhouse Ales Saison Bretta
5. Stone Ruination/Sublimely Self Righteous

The greatest beer of all time is the one brewed by ancient Sumerians helping to give rise to human civilization, silly.

Yeah, I have noticed they seem to be a very popular style on the forum, it's my dad's favorite style too. To me they just taste like hop tea.

Super hopped IPAs are something of a fad; so, they tend to attract a big following from people that are real into fads. I'm sure you know the type ;).

I know their rating of it. Remember the part where I said From a cost vs. quality standpoint of course."?
I prefer MANY beers over it, but cost wise its the winner IMO...MMMMM Bell's Two Hearted, Torpedo, Mojo, Mojo Risin', Big Sky IPA, DFH 60, Hop Stoopid, MGD 64 (just kidding), Lagunitas IPA and APA, Bubble Jack, the Unforgiven, and on and on. All so tasty yet so pricey.:drunk:

Wow, how much is a sixer of it over there? Aside from DFH and MGD, most of those you listed sell for the same price around me. Torpedo is my go to if they don't have anything else.

For cost/quality

SNPA and Sam Adams Boston Lager

Longhammer does not even crack the top 10 when it comes to IPAs

(in no particular order)
Pliny the Elder
Torpedo
Celebration Ale
Racer 5
Arragant Bastard
Stone IPA
Ruination
Hop Stoopid
Lagunitas (another cost/quality competitior)
DFH 60/90/120

Best IPA: McNeil's Imperial IPA (MA)
Best Stout: North Coast Old Rasputin (CA?)
Best experimental beers: Lagunitas (Especially the Little Sumpin Sumpin and the Undercover Shutdown Ale) (CA)
Best mainline brews (pale ales, maibocks, stouts, etc): Rogue (OR)
Close runner up for mainlines: Heavy Seas (MD)

I feel like there's a good mix of East and West Coasters. West has the tops for now, but more and more quality stuff is coming out of the East.

Best IPA: McNeil's Imperial IPA (MA)
Best Stout: North Coast Old Rasputin (CA?)
Best experimental beers: Lagunitas (Especially the Little Sumpin Sumpin and the Undercover Shutdown Ale) (CA)
Best mainline brews (pale ales, maibocks, stouts, etc): Rogue (OR)
Close runner up for mainlines: Heavy Seas (MD)

I feel like there's a good mix of East and West Coasters. West has the tops for now, but more and more quality stuff is coming out of the East.

North Coast is in Fort Bragg,Ca. I was there a couple of weeks and had Old Rasputin on Nitrogen. Unbelievably good Stout.:mug:

Back