Recommendation for Pale Chocolate in American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
I would like to use some pale chocolate in my next American Brown Ale. I'm looking for some recommendations on how much to use. If I were using all normal chocolate, I would probably use 4-5%. I'm thinking with the pale chocolate, I might want to use a little bit of that in combination with the normal chocolate. I was thinking 4% pale chocolate and 2% normal chocolate.

Suggestions?

I think 4.2% would be good, it should get you @ 17.5 SRM. Not sure you'd need the normal chocolate malt assuming you'd have a dark crystal in there... (like C90).

I recently made an American Brown ale with pale chocolate and used 1/2# but I also used 2 oz. Carafa Special II. That ended up being 5.6% and 1.4 % respectively. Color was ~18 SRM. There was also a pound of Golden Naked Oats (10L) and the rest was 2-row pale malt plus a little flaked barley. OG was 1.053.

I recently made an American Brown ale with pale chocolate and used 1/2# but I also used 2 oz. Carafa Special II. That ended up being 5.6% and 1.4 % respectively. Color was ~18 SRM. There was also a pound of Golden Naked Oats (10L) and the rest was 12-row pale malt plus a little flaked barley. OG was 1.053.

How did you like it?

Haven't tasted it yet, I was just commenting on the color contribution. I've never used Golden Naked Oats and this brew was to see what they're like.

Haven't tasted it yet, I was just commenting on the color contribution. I've never used Golden Naked Oats and this brew was to see what they're like.

Keep us posted on how it tastes. I'm still about a month away from brewing this, so I've got some time.

Latest posts

Back