Semi-Automatic HERMS System (Work in Progress)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to check my notes from home, but off the top of my head, It was sourced online, possible ebay...

Is there a thread or site that will help with wiring up all the valves and burners? I don't have a clue when it comes to that type of wiring and don't even know where to start. Do you have a parts list or a set of instructions you followed for wiring?

valarious - There are a few threads here on the DIY forum that will help you through wiring. It all depends on what your goals are, and how complex you want to make things....

WRT the filter assembly, I purchased mine of eBay. Just search water filter and scroll through the options. There are plenty.

Done, done, check, and DONE!

All systems go!

I finsihed all my "to do" items on the brewery today, gave everything a scrubbin' with BKF, and then ran some one-step through the works to sterilize the guts.

I ordered some grain and yeast and plan to brew the first batch next weekend, pending my wife pops out our baby early this week or later next week....

It will be a basic IPA, nothing fancy the first go around... I will post many pictures of the event.

Fingers crossed things do well!!!

Thanks for all the help along the way.

BK

Done, done, check, and DONE!

All systems go!

I finsihed all my "to do" items on the brewery today, gave everything a scrubbin' with BKF, and then ran some one-step through the works to sterilize the guts.

I ordered some grain and yeast and plan to brew the first batch next weekend, pending my wife pops out our baby early this week or later next week....

It will be a basic IPA, nothing fancy the first go around... I will post many pictures of the event.

Fingers crossed things do well!!!

Thanks for all the help along the way.

BK

Good luck my friend. I mean that on all levels. I hope your child comes into this world with ease and full of good spirits.

Thanks Fellas,

I'm very confident that Sarah will do just fine, and that Anabel will be warmly welcomed into the world. I will tilt back a brew on the day with a GREAT BIG SMILE on my face.

I appreciate the well wishes my friends!!!

BK

First of all, congrats on your upcoming new addition to the family.

Second, congrats on finishing your rig BEFORE the new addition arrives. I have got an 11 month old son and he eats up a lot of time. I love him more than I had ever imagined I would so I don't mind some of my hobbies suffering a bit. A day spent with him is never a bad day. My rig is halfway assembled and my bike hasn't seen the outside of the garage since last riding season, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Good luck with your family and your new brewrig (which is very nice BTW).
Let us know when the new baby arrives. We will all have to raise a pint in his/her honor.

Hey Guys,

Anabel is here, and will be turning the key to fire up the new rig for its first formal brew session. While a little small (7lb 11oz) to help with the brewing, she was more than happy to offer up her skills and turn on the rig for it's maiden voyage. We will be brewing our house IPA with a few hos substitutions... Very excited!

I've been busy with the little one, and having two weeks off has been great.
Mom is well, and baby is GREAT!

Pics to come early next week. Rest assured she will be wearing her homebrew onsie for the big event!

Thanks Guys,

Bryan

123.jpg

124.jpg

Hey Guys,

Anabel is here, and will be turning the key to fire up the new rig for its first formal brew session. While a little small (7lb 11oz) to help with the brewing, she was more than happy to offer up her skills and turn on the rig for it's maiden voyage. We will be brewing our house IPA with a few hos substitutions... Very excited!

I've been busy with the little one, and having two weeks off has been great.
Mom is well, and baby is GREAT!

Pics to come early next week. Rest assured she will be wearing her homebrew onsie for the big event!

Thanks Guys,

Bryan

Beautiful baby girl..Beautiful name also!

Excellent work on the other project too.:mug:

Hey Guys,

I wanted to give you all an update. I had to rework the brewery manifold, and the solenoids were not up to the task. I replace all the existing valves with motorized ball valves. The system was working wonderfully with the new valves during wet tests. That said, the system was put to the task with another round of brewing this past weekend. All systems worked flawlessly. I brewed an IPA with a target OG of 1.062, with the actual OG at 1.061. It was such a pleasure using the system, and the sense of satisfaction after years of building, tweaking, and rebuilding was SO worth the wait.

I have 12 gallons fermenting, and I am looking forward to brewing up the next batch (winter white ale) in a couple weeks with my brother.

Pics of the event to follow.

Thanks again for all the help along the way, and if anyone is in the Boston area and ever wants to run the system, please drop me a line.

Cheers,

Bryan

Hey Bryan.

Great build thread.

Just wondering if you could talk us through your clean up process?
How do you clean your mash tun and boil kettle? Do you have to lift them out and hose them down etc? Or have you got some way to clean them in place?

Cheers
Hunt

Back