Specialty IPA: Black IPA Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used pellets for all the hops in this recipe. I put the hops into a voile bag from wilser.

This is also my first time adding hops to the keg, so I'll see how it progresses. I've read some people taste a grassy flavor after a couple weeks. Others leave them in for a month until the keg is empty and don't taste any off flavors. So I think it's again one of those "do what works for you". I figured I would just leave mine in, and if I start to taste anything off I could try to pull them out

Took this one over to the home brew shop for the owner who also runs a nanobrewery in his home brew shop to try out. His comments were pretty positive - very hop forward, what with the 4oz of dry hop in the keg. Good flavor, good color. His comment was he might add some dextrin or something to give it some more malt flavor and backbone, as with the dry hop the flavor is about 90% hops :D He also said that he generally expects a little more roast flavor in a Black IPA, not a lot, but enough to taste it. I'm pretty sure there was a little roast flavor before the dry hop ;)

He took a second helping from the half-growler, so I assume he actually did enjoy it :rockin:

The interesting thing is the original recipe said an OG of 1.080, but Beersmith gave me a 1.090 OG, and my actual OG was 1.070 (will be working on the efficiency), and since FG was 1.010 for me, the body is probably a little thin in comparison to the original.

Next time I think I might just put the Carafa in for the full mash and see how that affects the flavor.

Anyway, I've been enjoying this one a lot, I'll be brewing it again for sure.

awesome stuff. Glad you like the recipe. It's def one of my fav recipes I have made.
I typically do the carafa for the whole mash now.

Brewed this about recipe about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. It has taken me some time to get back to this recipe, but I will be using my Grainfather (this will be my 8th Grainfather brew since buying it in January 2016) to do this recipe on Easter Sunday.

The only thing I am changing will be subbing Maris Otter for the Pale Malt. I have 4 bags of Maris I need to get through, so Maris it is. The 1056 is on the stir plate, and the beer is in the fridge, so I am ready for all the fun on Sunday!

Happy Easter everyone! :tank:

SO I brewed this yesterday.... not sure why but I only got an OG of 1.066.... damn! (Beersmith tells me 1.079).... that is off!

I honestly have no idea what happened, this is the first time I miss my OG :(

That sucks, man. Sorry to hear that. There are a few reasons you could have been off on OG. Beersmith is usually right on target for me.

Taken from Beersmith.Com

Missing Your Original Gravity

Once you have your OG estimate and brew the beer, you often miss. Occasionally the OG comes in high, but more often your original gravity will be lower than you predicted. So what do you do next?

I’ll cover how to adjust your OG using dry malt extract or water below, but as you plan your next batch here are some of the potential issues to look at:

Grain Milling – For all grain brewers, poorly crushed grains can have a large effect on original gravity. Your grains should be crushed finely – with the center of the grain forming a fine powder. Large pieces of the husk should be left intact, however, to form a bed for filtering during the lauter. A dual roller mill like the Barley Crusher (full disclosure – we sell these) works best for crushing your grains.
Sparging – If you sparge too quickly, have a poorly designed mash tun filter, or sparge the wrong volume you can get a low OG. Take your time when sparging, which will let the wort extract as much as possible from the grain bed. Also design of the mash system can have an impact. A cylindrical (Gott or Igloo style water cooler) with a full size false bottom (screen type) will generally yield higher efficiency than a flat picnic cooler with only a few copper tubes acting as the filter system for example.
Measure your Volumes – If you have not accurately measured your volumes at each stage in the brewing process and accounted for losses along the way, it can have a huge effect on your OG. For example, a 10% increase in final volume can result in a 10% decrease in OG. So to hit your target OG, you also need to hit your volumes at each step – into the boiler, post boil and also into the fermenter. If you find your volumes don’t match your equipment profile – then adjust your equipment profile until you have a good match with your brewing style.

In fact I was trying:
1-New Mash Tun (11G Mash King with a homemade CPVC filter)
2-New Boil Kettle (16G with ball valve and dip tube)
3-Grains provided by a seller that Ive never tried.

But it could be my method. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Yeah, trying new equipment can really lead to some craziness. lol. The first time I ran a brew through my new eHERMS system temps were everywhere and the beer was definitely subpar.

Cascadian Dark Ale still makes more sense

I don't like the name "Black ipa", really. But the problem I have with "Cascadian Dark Ale", is that is implies something about geography, which really has nothing to do with the roots of the "Black IPA", except that the pacific northwest wants to unrealistically take credit for the style simply because "some" of the pioneers of this style originated there.

All I know is I love the style.

Just put together my first batch last week. The primary smells great! I modified to Galaxy and Citra instead of Amarillo/centennial. Excited to dry hop then get into a bottle!

Just put together my first batch last week. The primary smells great! I modified to Galaxy and Citra instead of Amarillo/centennial. Excited to dry hop then get into a bottle!

Sounds delicious, let us know how it turns out

My thanks to brrman! Brewed and bottled and just started drinking this. Excellent Black IPA! Was looking for a recipe as had tried some BIPA but wasn't sure what to do recipe wise. This fits the bill and I will brew again!

Cheers!! Slight adjustment, and I used Wyeast 2565 kolsch yeast

2017-03-09 17.36.52.jpg

Yeah, i scaled the op down to 5 gal, and added .25# carapils, i also added some simcoe at flameout, .5oz

Wow - its been nearly 10 years since I originally posted this recipe. Gonna have to brew up a 10th Anniv batch this weekend! In truth, I have only brewed this half a dozen times because it is so expensive.

I had brewed this one probably 4.5 years ago now? It was my first experience with hopping in the keg, which caused massive problems with the dip tube.

I was cleaning out my keg fridge and forgotten I'd actually transferred to a small keg. This was 3 or 4 months ago.

So I tried it, and it still tasted pretty good. Lots of particulates, kinda resembling used engine oil.

But I really liked this one, I may have to try again as well.

wait... you found 4 year old Heavenly Scourge in a small keg? Wow. That could not have been very IPA ish. lol

Glad this recipe came up, I hadn't seen it but it looks good. Might have to add it to the list

wait... you found 4 year old Heavenly Scourge in a small keg? Wow. That could not have been very IPA ish. lol

Yeah, I said I tried it, not drank the rest. ;)

It was way better than I thought it'd be. Yes, the hop presence was largely gone, but it seemed reminiscent of the original beer. Which has been 4.5 years since I had so . . . :D

Wow - its been nearly 10 years since I originally posted this recipe. Gonna have to brew up a 10th Anniv batch this weekend! In truth, I have only brewed this half a dozen times because it is so expensive.

We've brewed this 3 times in the last 6 years or so and about to brew it again. We've consistently had great reviews - even from people who "hate hoppy beers". My favorite review so far is "it's kinda like Mothman but better and without the sh!tty aftertaste!"

Back