Hop particles in IPA!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I've got this American IPA that I dumped 4 oz of Centennial into the secondary (dry hopping). I always dry hop for 7 days. I never moved the carboy and racked off of the placid beer into a keg. Giant chunks of hop particle are flowing in this beast of a hoppy beer. How do I get it clean now. Do I have to transfer to another vessel? Should I just let it cold crash until it cleans and hope the first couple of pints pull the nasties out? I can let it sit untouched for months in the kegerator. Do I let it cold crash to clean or do I push to another keg? I'm not sure about gelatin. I've never used it but I've seen pro brewers use it after ferm to clear a beer. Any suggestions? I'm drunk and frustrated by the greatest smelling beer in the world that drinks like cole slaw... :(

you're screwed! just bottle and enjoy it, and remember that you'll have some extra sludge in the bottle.

p.s. I'm druck as well, so you may not want to take my advice...

Yeah, I dont know. I'm thinking about racking this beer through a hop bag into another keg. Maybe a t-shirt would work better. I don't want to oxidize the beer but something has to be done. It's chunky as all hell. I can hand a little sediment in my beer but this is downright nasty...

I'm not druck enough to concur with racking through a t-shirt!!

my last IPA was so hop heavy that the bottle wand got filled with hops! oh well, extra aroma in the bottle I guess.

please no t-shirt!

Yeah, maybe the t-shirt is a little overboard. I'm raw and I can't think straight. White flag indeed. SOS. :(

If this were buckets I suggest a SS scrubby pre-filter and then,

Try some Knox Gelatin. 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons bloomed in near boiling water and then VERY GENTLY swirled into the cole slaw carboy.

Don't worry about it. I'm not a particularly careful siphoner so my first few pints often have gunk. My IIPA with 5oz dry hopping, yea that had some particles.

Simply solution. Take you racking cane, put a 6 in (2 in, 4 in, dont matter the longer the less it will clog) piece of ss mesh on it, hose clamp it to the end. Just rack through the ss mesh making sure to keep it below the liquid level so it wont oxidize the beer. You may have to clean it out a couple times but it will work really well. Just keep a bucket of starsan handy, pull it off when its clogged, shake the piss out of it in the starsan, reattach and start you racking again. Should work like a charm!

I used a sanitized rubber band and grain bag to cover my autosiphon to rack from primary to secondary on a foolishly unfiltered IPA. It worked like a charm, mostly. I dry hopped with 2oz Simcoe pellets and plan on doing it again to rack to bottle town. Clean off the hop gunk fairly often though, I got a bit of bubbling due to it.

I have quite a bit of hop debris in my kegs right now from my Ruination clone and what I'll be doing is letting it sit for a month and then I will be transferring via my inline filter over to a clean keg...

Done done and Done.

i have the same problem. i made an american brown ale and decided to dry hop 3 gallons of it in secondary with 1.5 oz of some various pellet hops i had lying around. when i primed and bottled it, the wand kept clogging up. when drinking it, i keep spitting out chunks of hops! i don't mind, and my friends don't mind, but it is so good i have thought of entering it in a competition andam afraid it will get points off for the lumps.
i suppose i could reprime and rebottle it. or just cool the bottles down and carefully pour through a strainer into clean bottles.

In the case of the bottles being chunky on the bottom.. You definitey could chill them for a long time and then pour them carefully... I never drank from the bottle before I started kegging... Always poured into a glass... I don't like crap in my beers...

My IPA was dry hopped with pellets and I found that any bits that made it into the bottles sank whilst conditioning. I didn't have a problem with floaties when pouring.

I recently made Edwort's BeeCave IPA and dry hopped with Cascade Pellets for 10 days. All the big chunks fell to the bottom, but there were very fine pieces still suspended. I left a bottle in the fridge for a couple weeks and it poured crystal clear. However, I think the hop bits are kind of nice looking and I perceive a more intense hop characteristic when I rouse the bottles a little.

So, I like it with the hop floaties.

Hop floaties add flavor. Unless you're submitting it to a competition I wouldn't worry about it. Mine always seem to clear up the 3rd or 4th day on tap.

One technique that i have used to clear out dry hops is to rack to a bottleing bucket, then gently stir the beer in the bottling bucket as a kind of whirlpool, then bottling from the side of the bucket as most of the hops settle to the middle. Similar to how many people separate the trub before transfering to primary. Good Luck!

i have the same problem. i made an american brown ale and decided to dry hop 3 gallons of it in secondary with 1.5 oz of some various pellet hops i had lying around. when i primed and bottled it, the wand kept clogging up. when drinking it, i keep spitting out chunks of hops! i don't mind, and my friends don't mind, but it is so good i have thought of entering it in a competition andam afraid it will get points off for the lumps.
i suppose i could reprime and rebottle it. or just cool the bottles down and carefully pour through a strainer into clean bottles.

The only problem with that is that strainers tend to aerate your beer which will cause some adverse effects.

Back