Some advice for new brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
I just wanted to give some advice to new brewers after reading the last few pages on this part of the forum.

1) Use a solid recipe.
Don't experiment until you know exactly what you are doing. That way if it turns out bad you know technique is the issue not the recipe.

2) Have good sanitation practices.
Use a good sanitizer and follow the directions.Just dipping a hydrometer into a solution for 3 seconds is not good sanitation practice.

3) Pitch the proper amount of yeast into a well aerated wort.
This requires making a starter when using liquid yeast. No more asking questions about whether you should make a starter when using liquid yeast. The answer is yes. Use the Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator to determine how much starter/slurry you need. Under pitching yeast is probably the most common mistake that home brewers make. It will result in poor attenuation, stuck fermentation & other off flavors. How many times have we read about folks getting stuck at 1.020 who didn’t make a starter? If you are too lazy (like me) to make a starter then use dry yeast. Nottingham works fine for American & British Ales. No starter or rehydration required.

4) Control your fermentation temperatures
I ferment all ales (yes, even Belgians & German Hefes) at or below 65 degrees. Warmer fermentation might get you faster results but not better results. I know some people might disagree but I've been able to get great banana flavors from a German Hefe fermenting at 62 degrees. I don't have attenuation or stuck fermentation issues because I pitch the proper amount of yeast into a well aerated wort.

5) Keep it simple
Hit your temperatures. Follow your recipe. Use a hydrometer. Don't worry if your airlock doesn't bubble. At least a third of my brews over the years showed little to no airlock activity. Using a secondary fermenter is not required for most brews. After hitting your final gravity wait a week, then crash cool for a few days (or a week), then bottle/keg. In my experience using a secondary has caused more pain (oxidation, lost wort, waste of time) then it's worth.

Personally I think that having great technique is more important than having a great recipe.

I would add, keeping good notes. It is important when you get into designing your own recipes to be able to repeat the good ones and modify the ones you want to improve on. This includes temperatures and times besides the ingredients used.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

Back