Question about cheddar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I made a stirred curd cheddar this weekend. Everything seemed to go exactly as would be expected according to the recipe. Some pertinent info.

3 gals milk
1.5 tsp Calcium Chloride
1/4 tsp mesophilic starter
1/2 rennet tab

45 mins to ripen at 87 degrees
30 min at 90 with rennet
45 min temp rise up to 100
30 min at 100
drain
1 more hour to cheddar
begin pressing

The question is this. The cheese has been under 50 lbs pressure for 20 hours now. It still seems a little spongy, slightly hollow. I am concerned about this. It is the texture of very firm foam rubber. Does this solidify into a standard cheddar texture with more time under the press or drying time or aging or did I do something wrong.

I think it should firm up with drying and aging, I wouldn't worry about it. My cheddar that I just made is doing that and my curds on this one were a mess. Still I think I'll wax it tomorrow if it's dry enough.

-Archroy

It is firming up. I will be waxing it tomorrow. I think it is okay now. Thanks for the confirm.

I made some mozzarella today using the starter and ripening and hot water bath and all that. It is in the brine now. It is very tough. Tastes good but I am a little disappointed. I am trying to duplicate the awesome Hoboken mozz. cheese I used to make special trips for.

Latest posts

Back