LME vs DME -- pros and cons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trrance

Reaction score
The first three kits I brewed used all LME, the last one had some LME and some DME. I was surprised at how much easier using the dry stuff seemed; no need to preheat, no sticky mess dripping on things, no burning my fingers trying to get all the liquid out of the can, etc.

Anybody have any insights or opinions regarding liquid vs dry extract? Different taste, color, clarity, whatever?

True, but if you can any moisture at all in DME, it turns into a solid rock. I can't store it in the basement, only in the kitchen.

I actually prefer the DME but the LME is handy for keeping in the basement until I need it. The cans are pretty easy to deal with, since I put the can in hot water while I simmer the grains. Then when it's time to pour in the LME, it pours right out into the pot. A spatula gets the rest. I do turn off the stove while I pour, since I don't want it to scorch on the bottom but I do that with DME too.

As far as flavor, I haven't noticed any difference at all. But the color gets darker with LME, even the "light" LME. Not a problem for me, though. Some of my recipes called for some extra light DME and a can of light LME. It seems about the same to me, but I'm no expert.

Lorena

Most of my mini-mash and extract batches use LME, but I keep DME around for starters and topping off a batch that is a little on the low side. I also like to put DME in my morning cocoa when it's really cold out.

BrewStef said:
Hard core...I will have to try that.
that is pretty hard core...
except for the "morning cocoa when it's really cold out" -- that part sounds sissy-like...

but eating beer ingredients for breakfast sounds tough...

I haven't used LME since 1994. And don't plan on ever buying/using it again.

Personal preference for all the cons stated above, except I store several 55 lb boxes (I have 6 boxes) of it with no problems what so ever.:D

Orpheus said:
Certainly one of the pros of LME is that it's cheaper than DME.

There are more fermentables pound per pound in DME than LME.

DME
-is easier to work with
-not sticky or tar like
-easy to weigh
-floats on top of the water while it dissolves
-almost impossible to scorch
-you arent limited to using 4lbs at a time

sirsloop said:
There are more fermentables pound per pound in DME than LME.
Don't know if I'll get the math right on this but I've been told that it takes 1.22 lb of LME to equal 1 lb of DME or it only takes .8 lb of DME to equal 1 lb. of LME. The difference is in the water in the LME.

homebrewer_99 said:
I think he was referring to the 3.3 lb cans...but I could be wrong...:D

Ahhh... no wonder I didn't understand. I don't buy the cans. My LHBS has bulk extract that's cheaper and tastes great.

I use LME. One, it's cheaper and two, I like it. I don't know about the lighter color of DME...

I like the thought of being able to store DME for long periods. If I come across any sales I might pick some up.

I fill the sink with hot water while things are heating up and just throw the LME (in my case 1/2gal milk containers) into it. Then rinse after pouring into the wort.

Homebrew99, I wonder if LME is a lot better now than it was way back then? I buy the Briess LME. Great stuff.

It's hard to beat the price and convenience of LME in bulk from places like Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew, MoreBeer. And since those guys do such huge volume, you know it hasn't been sitting in the can for a year like the stuff at the LHBS may have been.

DME is great for use in starters, priming, adding a bit more fermentables to a brew (whether extract, PM, or AG), etc. It's much easier to store long term and use in small quantities than LME. I always have DME on hand, wheras before I went AG I used LME often but always custom ordered the exact amounts I extected to use.

Exo said:
I don't know about the lighter color of DME....

horribly light in color isnt it ;) :p :D

mmmm.... buzz beer....

IMG_2357.JPG

While both work fine for me, I enjoy the DME over the LME for ease, expediency, and less hassle over all. Also, as mentioned by other posters, I get much better color control (through creative use of specialty malts) using light dry malt xtract as my baseline. Lite LME, especially the older stuff, has always yielded me darker beers in general. Hooyah!

Next Brewing: Raspberry Stout
Fermenting: Honeyweizen
Conditioning: India Pale Ale
Eurrently Enjoying Chilled: Hefeweizen

Orpheus said:
Certainly one of the pros of LME is that it's cheaper than DME.

Yes but dont forget LME is 10% less potent than DME. Personally I use both and generally am pretty liberal in my use of DME. If the recipie asks for 500gms I will use 750gms to bump up the alcohol percentage but remember if you do that you will need to experiment with different hops to balance the taste. It can be a bit hit and miss but after a while you will start to get a feel for it. You can achive a very similar flavor of your original recipie but with a much higher ABV%.

Trrance said:
The first three kits I brewed used all LME, the last one had some LME and some DME. I was surprised at how much easier using the dry stuff seemed; no need to preheat, no sticky mess dripping on things, no burning my fingers trying to get all the liquid out of the can, etc.

Anybody have any insights or opinions regarding liquid vs dry extract? Different taste, color, clarity, whatever?

Here is an old poll about if beers from DME tasts better than that of LME.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9796

Back