Accidentally pitched old yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogopunx82

Reaction score
So I was doing my thing making a Berliner Weisse and I had two vials of WL Berliner Weisse Blend. One new one and one that I had found in my fridge that had gotten lost. I accidentally pitched the old one that expired last may. What do you think is going to happen?

So I was doing my thing making a Berliner Weisse and I had two vials of WL Berliner Weisse Blend. One new one and one that I had found in my fridge that had gotten lost. I accidentally pitched the old one that expired last may. What do you think is going to happen?

You want some funky esters in that beer anyways, which is the primary effect of under pitching (or pitching old yeast), you might have a slow start but your beer will be fine.

You want some funky esters in that beer anyways, which is the primary effect of under pitching (or pitching old yeast), you might have a slow start but your beer will be fine.

Crash makes an excellent point, you should be fine. If you don't see any obvious signs of activity within a few days I would just pitch the new vial.

Back