Windguard for SQ14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synovia

Reaction score
So, I did my first brew on my SQ14 last weekend, and it was pretty windy. Didn't have the flame go out at any point, but the changes in wind were definitely screwing around with my air mixture.

So, I went out and got one of these:

hvac_start_collar.jpg

(8" start collar, home depot, ducts section, about $4)

I had to cut about a half inch off the bottom of it with a pair of metal shears, and had cut a groove out for the burner's stem, and bend the tabs down to get it in, but here are the results.

sq14.jpg

The pic looks a lot more ghetto than it looks in real life. Actually looks pretty snazzy, and only takes about 5 minutes.

Very nice! Have you used it yet? Any change in boil time?

I'm gonna try to make some beer this afternoon and see how well it works. I can't see it doing anything but helping though.In addition to the wind shield, it should keep the flame from going around the side of the pot.

Pretty nifty idea; I've been looking for something like this for my sq14. i'm interested in how it turns out as well.

Definitely seemed to heat up water faster. I didn't time anything, but usually by the time I finish milling grain, my strike water is about 150. It was 190 this time, had to cool it back down.

Looks like the same equipment I'm using. I've been using aluminium foil to try to mitigate against wind. How did this work out? Any better in the wind/breeze? Did the zinc plating burn?

Looks like the same equipment I'm using. I've been using aluminium foil to try to mitigate against wind. How did this work out? Any better in the wind/breeze? Did the zinc plating burn?

Seemed to work pretty well. The zinc plating on the fingers definitely burned a bit.

Seemed to work pretty well. The zinc plating on the fingers definitely burned a bit.

Can't be any worse than the burning off of the black paint on the sq14 the first time it was used :p the bottom of my pot was completely black after the first use.

Great idea. thanks for the pics and description. It was very easy to do on my sq14.

I didn't measure the times but I think that it really made it more efficient. My flame stayed blue and there was no soot residue so I don't think it affected the air fuel mixture.
Well done!

This is a wonderful idea! We had 50 mph gusts here in Fort Collins when I was brewing on Sunday. I had to watch the pot and muck with the regulator for pretty much the entire 90 minute boil in order to maintain that delicate balance between no boiling whatsoever and Major Boil Over.

I'm definitely getting one of these sooner rather than later. Thanks for the suggestion!

Latest posts

Back