Victoria mill crush pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got the victoria mill from midwest yesterday and am brewing this morning with it.

3181953945_08f1b371e0.jpg

Seems like it wasn't that hard to adjust for the right crush...at least I think this looks pretty good. Hopefully, I'll get some good efficiency this time.

3182786802_0fbf5b32ab.jpg

It's tough to tell from the picture but that crush looks pretty good. Despite what most people say it's very easy to get an excellent crush from corona-style mills - as you found out. The wiki has an article on evaluating your crush (including an example of a good crush from a corona mill, which for disclosure is my own ;)).

Who cares how ugly your junk is, Revvy. As long as it works.

that's what she said.

Dude, I think it worked great! I collected 6 gallons for a 3.5 gallon recipe, and the gravity of the 6 gallons was 1.031 @ 139F! I believe that is about 1.043 at room temp. I assumed 60% efficiency since I've previously done really poorly on efficiency.

Now I think I might need to make 4.0 or 4.5 gallons just to hit a gravity of 1.060, right?

Glad to hear the mill worked out so well. I use a similar mill (a porkert mill) and get a very decent crush out of it (80 - 85% brewhouse).

I can't tell from your photo, but it looks to me like you could go even finer. Do as Brad suggests above and compare your crush to the photos in the wiki. If you are batch sparging, especially, you can grind pretty fine before you run into any lautering or astringency problems.

You might also think of stripping off that handle and getting a bolt with the same threads. Just cut the head off the bolt, attach a power drill, and now you have a motorized mill for pennies! That was the best improvement I made to my mill.

Congrats again on the successful brew! (Oh, and yes, by my calculations you need to boil to 4.4 gals to achieve your target gravity.)

Back