lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
I have asked about this doppelbock batch before, but here's another question. This batch has been in the primary for 5 days, airlock slowed way down, and krausen had fallen, so I bumped the temp to 65*. Kind of backwards, but I took a SG reading after 24 hours, and it is at 1.065. Not knowing what else to do, I dropped the temp to 52*. Have I screwed up? I should have left it for a longer time, and taken a reading. Nothing can fix that now, but what to do from here?

What gravity did it start at? You will be fine leave it at 52. Some of my lagers have taken 2 weeks to fully ferment at 50 degrees. Did you make at least a 2 liter starter for your brew?

Tastybrew put it at 1.130. I let it cool, then after some time took a reading, it said 1.090, but since the sugars settled, I tend to believe Tastybrew. I rehydrated 2 packages of Vierka Lager Yeast (German) and let it sit for 30 minutes with yeast nutrient. It was really going strong within 18 hours. I wonder if I didn't give it enough time (5 days at 55*)

Back