Natural gas to propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackmoe

Reaction score
We just picked up a 3 tier AG set up and it is set up for natural gas. We do not have access to a gas line where we will be brewing, so we will need to reconfigure it for propane. What all is involved in doing this?

Propane isn't "thicker" it's just used at a much higher pressure that NG. You'll need to swap out the orifice that feeds the gas to the burner and exchange the regulator over to handle the pressure of propane. You may also have to replace the gas valve. With propane you should have a clean blue flame with no yellow in it. If you get yellow flames or the tips of the flames are yellow you need to adjust the air mixture.

Propane burns at a lower temp and lights at a lower temp. So you would need less propane than Natural Gas to equal the same.

And they now have if u cn find it natural gas bottled simaler to propane.

Nah, you just have to change the jets (orifaces). Propane is smaller, at the rate of .6 . I took mine out, and peened it smaller, then ran a .060 drill through it. Formerly it was .100. And turner down the pilot- my burner is out of a NG wall furnace. Less soot now, more efficient.

Leave out the regulator to go to NG, and drill out the orifice by 1.6 the size. Or maybe buy a new jet, they are sold separately.

We will definitely be keeping all the old parts as the propane deal is a temporary solution. We will be going to someplace that can hook us up to a gas line eventually.

As far as getting new orifices and regulators, is that something I can do at home depot or some such place or are these super specific? Should I take the burner in and make sure I get the right threads and all that?

Sorry for all the questions. I am doing this without the unit near me. It is at my buddy's place and my job while he is out of town this weekend is to try to figure out how to do this, or at least get all the baic info. Thanks for all the help guys!

it may almost be worth it to just get a cupple turkey fry burners and put them in place of the natural gas burners and call it a day...

Back