Won't you be my neighbor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warped04

I am Wally
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was bottling my [thread=57183]Sterling Gold[/thread] today (39 bottles). 12 bottles deep, my capper that I loved so dearly snaps in half. What do you do now?

Well, I head over to my neighbors house, broken capper in hand, and ask if he can help me rig this thing to work for 27 more bottles. We start searching around, and nothing we find is going to make the thing hold. So I get back to my house, super glue and zip tie the thing together and it "kinda works."

A knock on my door brings my neighbor, who is the ultimate Mr. Handy vs me (5 year olds can beat me in construction techniques). I answer the door hoping he has an idea to help me cap my open bottles. No he brings over his Antique Capper, that his father in law gave him (who worked for Schlitz) and we polish off the bottles.

Guess who's getting his favorite batch of beer brewed for him! What an amazing guy. His comment: "I guess I saved the brewery today."

nice, how well did the antique capper work? I have one from the 30s or 40s that works better than most new ones.

capperjw4.jpg

That is the exact same capper we used. It was a very difficult process, but it was way better than nothing! If you have that thing dialed in, kudos to you.

That is very nice. I am a retired tool and die maker and that capper is designed right and will last 6 life times or more. As has been said before "They don't make them like that any more".

I still have my gradparents crock pots and capper besides the old porcelain wire capped bottles, old country southern Germans came to the USA back in 1924 thru Ellis island and a Ohio labor camp. One year to pay for the passage to the USA, then to be with brother John who came to America and operated a bakery in 1911. Oldest bakery wood fired in the west.
They made Bier thru the probition era, screw the laws of not making bier.
Well it's my turn for home brewing AG, well when the backs better to build my own unit. Future dream stage need back surgery.

Back