First all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrVertebrae

Reaction score
Doing my first all grain brew as I speak. Its ten minutes in at 158 or there abouts. Its a Boddington's clone. Yes, I am a Bod's fan. I played racquetball with an English guy from Burmingham for about the past 12 years. Also enjoying a homebrewed Shoktoberfest; a dark lager. Very nice. In addition, I am slow cooking some tomato suce with italian sausage for later to make lasagna. Both daughters are hanging here. It doesn't get much better than this unless maybe my lady friend didn't have to work and could be here hanging with us as well.

Its a three gallon boil in a bag. Woo hoo. All grain!

Overall this will be batch 26 from my start last December.

Congrats and enjoy! You're makin' beer. Hope it turns out as your best batch.

Cheers!

After I get back from my jamaican vacation in a few weeks ill start my first OG :)

My first 5 extract brews will be bottled by then and ill try them but so far i'm just not satisfied. Can't wait to try OG.

My extracts have been pretty good. Some just plain great. Of course if I could just let them sit for long enough, they'd be even better.

Its Monday, two days after the first all grain brew. Its chugging along at 67F. The all grain is definitely more time consuming so I'm hoping it is worth the extra work. It is cheaper for sure and makes the house smell really good. The brew in a bag concept seems sound however, it makes for difficult sparging but not impossible.

I would agree with you, inhousebrew. I really enjoyed the smell. The house still smells loverly. Of course, I'll be heavy into the allgrain pretty soon and the three gallon capacity just won't cut it. I'll have to up-grade my equipment. Fun!

Sandy claus needs to bring me one of those big electric brewing contraptions or a super big pot and a conical fermentor. I see some day up-grading the house to a full microbrewery. Adding on a small warehouse in the back, growing fields of barley and hops, full micro-lab for manipulating my yeasties into new beasties . . . Nah!

I just put this one into bottles this past weekend. Had a taste and it tasted very nice but it was, to me, a bit astringent. I'll see how it plays out after some carbing and aging but I'm pretty sure that is what I was "feeling" in my mouth. Is this normal in an all grain brew?

Back