Best way to make labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
WEll I've seen a number of sites that give you templates and stuff. I think I'm going to try and make my own template.

I also read milk puts the labels on good.

I guess my only question is, if I'm printing them myself, what kind of paper do I use.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Laser printer. (Inkjet runs)

Any printer paper works great. A gluestick works just as well as milk, and is a bit easier to apply.

My labels are boring - just text on white paper.

I have a spreadsheet set up. Put in the various info at the top and below 9 labels are magically copied. Laser print on 25% cotton paper (the really smooth stuff doesn't stick well for me) and glue on with nonfat dried milk.

I'm going for the generic BEER look. You could color print and make it pretty though.

I've had good luck with Avery stick on labels in the past. You can get a template, use word or whatever, and print em out ready to go. It will run if the bottle gets wet, but by the time you take them out of the fridge and condensation begins, the bottle should be half empty anyways!

I just use a nice printer with regular paper. I found that Elmer's Glue is very easy to come off but you do have to be careful not to use to much when applying cause it will bubble.

Of the five batches I've brewed, four have been labeled. I printed on my Epson inkjet, 6 to a sheet. Simple black and white design that I put together in Photoshop. Once printed I've sprayed with clear spray paint and let dry over night. Cut out, soak in milk, then slap on the bottle.

I have used a glossy clear spray paint, which gives it a nice sheen, appears a bit heavier and holds of very well to moisture. Even in a cooler of water and ice all day outside, the labels mostly stay on. The only pain is, since it makes the paper a bit heavier, it's tough to keep the corners down while applying. Just take a moment to hold it place until it stick. For my most recent batch I moved to matte clear spray paint just to see what the differences would be. Obviously it's not shiny, flat finish. Ink seems to hold up well to the milk still. The paint does not weigh the paper down nearly as much and actually it's way easier to apply to the bottle. Down side is that the labels tear a bit easier. Not a huge problem, but it should be noted. Time will tell how these hold up.

Here's some of my labels

twodollarsadreamcopysma.jpg

orangeblossomsaisoncopy.jpg

sessionsaisonlemonbasil.jpg

sessionsaisonsageorange.jpg

Did this one in 22 oz bottles

In action

47986cfdb66a3ed6c3fd547f2068dba2_320x320.jpg

Back