Remove that Root Beer funk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyko

Reaction score
I learned from you guys how not to sacrifice a Corney Keg for only Root Beer ahead of time. So a BIG thank you to begin with.............. but............ The spice of life is variety! :drunk:

How do I get that smell out of my plastic bottling bucket? I've soaked it & baking soda. I'm soaking it now in diluted bleach. It has improved, but there's still a faint funky smell associated with it.

Did I sacrifice my bucket?

Help!

Yes, I just transferred mine and got the smell out with diluted bleach. Let it soak for ten to fifteen min then triple rinse.

And the cat came back, the very next day...

I thought the same thing when I first played with root beer. Then after a while I went back and I could smell it again.

Eventually the smell has to go away, but it takes a LOT of cleaning and sometime in the fresh air. Get the air circulating and it should help.

A search of the INTERNET with Google resulted in the idea of using OXICLEAN to remove that stain. I am amazed on how well it worked. I did have to let it soak overnight. It cleaned up 95% of that funk. But still I'm not going to have my beer smell like soda.

Baking Soda didn't work. Bleach didn't work. PBW didn't work. Star San didn't work. Soaking in just water didn't work. Taking Mors suggestion & letting it bake in the sun for 2 days didn't work.

Soaking in a mixture of Oxiclean & water overnight removed most of that smell from my plastic bucket. I still had to rinse it a few times. But I didn't have to trash my bucket. I'll keep it as my dedicated soda bottling bucket.

I've found 'the Sun' to be a great tool in removing odors. Things like pickle jar lids etc...that I can't remove the smell any other way...leave the lid in the sun for a few days....no more smell.

Back