Filtered vs Non-Filtered water quality report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
I decided to finally get my water tested and used www.wardlabs.com because of recomendations from the board.
I wanted to test two water samples. One coming out of a whole house filter that I purchased at Home Depot (Whirlpool) with the filter that "removes chlorine odor". I also tested a sample straight out of the garden hose.
As you can see, there is very little difference between the samples. One odd result is that the Chloride is 1ppm lower in the non-filtered water. Basically, I could use the water right out of the hose and add adjustments to suit the style of beer I'm brewing. This particular water seems to be middle of the road, good for
amber beers without any adjustments.

Sample 1 filtered
pH 8.0
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 89
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.15
Cations / Anions, me/L / 1.7 1.6ppm
Sodium, Na 19
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 14
Magnesium, Mg 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 39
Nitrate, NO -N < 0.1 (SAFE) 3
Sulfate, SO -S 3 4
Chloride, Cl 5
Carbonate, CO 3 3
Bicarbonate, HCO 75 3
Total Alkalinity, CaCO 67 3
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Sample ID : SAMPLE B NON FILTERED
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 88
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.15
Cations / Anions, me/L / 1.6 1.6
ppm
Sodium, Na 20
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 10
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO 33 3
Nitrate, NO -N < 0.1 (SAFE) 3
Sulfate, SO -S 2 4
Chloride, Cl 4
Carbonate, CO 3 3
Bicarbonate, HCO 75 3
Total Alkalinity, CaCO 67 3
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit
Bus: 308-234-2418 4007 Cherry Ave., P.O. Box 788
Reviewed By : Raymond Ward
Fax: 308-234-1940 Kearney, Nebraska 68848-0788
web site
www.wardlab.com
Page 2 of 2 1 Copy : 5/22/2007

The "chlorine" the filter should remove is HOCl and OCl- the byproducts of NaOCl (Bleach) the choride measured above is Cl- usually the anion from NaCl or regular salt. You should be able to smell the difference as HOCL/OCl- will provide that "swimming pool" smell. Cl- is odorless. Your right about the style of beers you can brew without modification. If you are doing all grain you might consider adding some Mg+ as yours is very low and that ion is frequently a cofactor in many enzymes. I seem to recall seeing somewhere you want at least 10ppm in your mash water.

Got Trub? said:
If you are doing all grain you might consider adding some Mg+ as yours is very low and that ion is frequently a cofactor in many enzymes. I seem to recall seeing somewhere you want at least 10ppm in your mash water.
Trub, I think your on the money.
Palmer states 10-30ppm for Mg, as its an important yeast nutrient.
Now the last two batches I've brewed I used some Yeast Nutrient (ammonium phosphate) and both batches have had vigorous fermentations.
Good call!

What about using camphor tabs to remove chlorine & chormines? I use a half of one for 10 gallons just crush it and mix it with warm water the night before the brew day.

Chloride and free chlorine are not the same thing. Unfortunately, your household water filtration system should not have affected any of the mineral concentrations listed in your water report. Those filters are designed to remove organics, not minerals.

The small differences you see between the two samples is probably due to chance variation or they are within the precision of the water test. That's normal.

Regardless, your filter should do an excellent job of removing free chlorine, which is the number one reason to use it (even if you don't see the proof!).

BTW, that is pretty soft water. You may wish to investigate hardening agents (like gypsum) if you are brewing big, dark beers. That's not a bad thing because it is far easier to add minerals than remove them. From that perspective, you have nice water 'to work with'. Also, you have great water for light beers that require low mineral content. Many will envy you.

fa1321tx said:
What about using camphor tabs to remove chlorine & chormines? I use a half of one for 10 gallons just crush it and mix it with warm water the night before the brew day.

Just for clarification, because I'm sure it was just a typo and you did not put camphor in your beer! I'm sure you meant Camden tablets.

Camphor is a substance that comes from certain evergreen trees in Asia and is used in medicines, moth balls and many other things.

Camden tablets are either sodium or potasium metabisulphate.

johnsma22 said:
Just for clarification, because I'm sure it was just a typo and you did not put camphor in your beer! I'm sure you meant Camden tablets.

Camphor is a substance that comes from certain evergreen trees in Asia and is used in medicines, moth balls and many other things.

Camden tablets are either sodium or potasium metabisulphate.

Your are right it was a typo, oops! Yes I meant Camden tabs they are cheap and I have read they remove chorine & choromines.

Latest posts

Back