Single tier weldless brewstand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsabrewdaddy

Reaction score
Know there are many of these but I wanted to document my own and get some advice along the way.

I bought the steel from lowes.

image-3936432226.jpg

Used a miter saw with a metal blade to cut the steel.

image-4088006123.jpg

Put it together using a thread on here, I didn't use the steel plates in the corners yet (I sat on it and moved around with no problems so I might not)

image-4059111891.jpg

Found a easy and cheap low pressure manifold that I liked on here.

image-2592899437.jpg

image-1271777283.jpg

image-2984261792.jpg

Waiting on parts/money now, I'll updated as I go.

Attachments

• image-950270517.jpg
    image-950270517.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,370
You would have saved some $ by ordering the steel from McMaster... even with shipping, but either way, looking good so far. Mine is similar, with an identical gas manifold. I have run 7 brew sessions on it in 2011, and so far so good! I was thinking about painting mine, but not sure how it would hold up to scratching and burnt wort.

9-5-2011e.jpg

dannedry said:
You would have saved some $ by ordering the steel from McMaster... even with shipping, but either way, looking good so far.

True but I didn't want to wait for it to come in...I was way to excited to get going! But it looks like I would have saved 40 bucks before shipping, not sure how much shipping would have been. I like your pump setup, probably going to be using that.

Spring_Chicken said:
What's the ballpark cost for the steel on one of these bad boys?

Just priced this at mcmaster.com for 6 pieces of 2 1/4 inch by 6 ft and 3 pieces of 1 inch by 6ft, before shipping is 113.79

Does anyone know how much shipping usually is? They don't like to tell you until after you pay. I live in Pa

Does anyone know how much shipping usually is? They don't like to tell you until after you pay. I live in Pa

It was exactly 1 year ago that I ordered my steel from McMaster, but I remember I spent about $145 for the steel, angle plates, and nuts and bolts. Shipping was shocking low, at about $16-$17. And that arrived at my work the next day. But if you have a McMaster around you, you can go pick it up yourself and save the shipping costs.

:mug:

True but I didn't want to wait for it to come in...I was way to excited to get going! But it looks like I would have saved 40 bucks before shipping, not sure how much shipping would have been. I like your pump setup, probably going to be using that.

Thanks... the panel the pumps are mounted to and the drip shield over the top of the pumps are just made of some extra sheet metal that I "borrowed" from work :rockin:

I got my March 809 pumps from Ebay... there is a seller on there USA PUMPS I think, I got them for $105 each with free shipping. Much much cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Started on the keggle conversions...did the cut manually so definitely going to have to go back and smooth everything up.

image-3863401562.jpg

image-1428041170.jpg

Looks great....I considered doing a similar weldless build using Benders thread, but went into an entirely different direction. I decided to start building an all electric HERMS system like Kal's Redirecting to TheElecticBrewery.com and devote a portion of the unfinished side of my basement for a dedicated brewing room. One word of advice.....add the corner supports IMHO. :) You are dealing with a lot of weight in boiling hot liquids/grains/etc. with the larger vessels for 10+ gallon batches. The corner plates are very inexpensive and I believe are well worth the investment from a safetly perspective. Can't wait to see you fire this thing up! Good luck. :mug:

How difficult is it to maintain a stable mash temperature with a direct fired recirculating keggle mash tun? I want to do something likethisbut don't quite have the money to go the brutus route yet. About how many times do you have to fire the burner to heat up the mash on average?

taintedplay said:
what dimensions do you guys use for these? im def thinking of building one

It's 54" long, 16.5" wide and 21" tall

Definitely going to add the steel plates, I just couldn't find them at lowes.

I use that kind of setup and just got a pump on the 14 of December. I was just firing and stirring it the temp dropped. I only used the heat at a very low setting. After about 45 minutes my temp might have dropped a degree or two is all. Firing and stirring or recirc using a pitcher for about 5 minutes brought me up to temp. The caveat that I would have is that my keggles are insulated with duct insulation and aluminum tape and then I throw a towel around the top when I'm letting the mash rest so my temps are probably more stable than a normal keggle.

Jones said:
Do you use a heat shield? I can get 12 gallons from 65 degrees to a boil in 34 minutes.

No. Just a burner and a keggle above it. Are you using a 6" burner on low pressure? If so I'd love to see a pic.

The stand looks great!

3991-131.jpg

I use bayou classic SQ14 low pressure 6 inch burners, with a 6 to 8 inch stove pipe reducer as a wind block.

Took today off from building the stand, brewing a American pale ale on my current setup....so ready for a single tier!

image-3474729239.jpg

This steel is up for sale as I have moved on to a new plan. Asking 120 shipped. Let me know if you are interested.

Note: this is for the steel only, no casters, burners, Manifold, etc. I will throw in the nuts and bolts currently on it.

Back