Ok, what is this? (with pics!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
About a month ago I racked a dubbel onto a bottle of lindemans kriek, after confirming with the brewery that it's pasteurized. After a month I still have these...bubbles on top. It's not a pellicle, but what is it?

image-3275740899.jpg

Do you mean you racked a fully fermented dubbel onto a freshly poured bottle of Lindeman's kreik? How does it taste?

About a month ago I racked a dubbel onto a bottle of lindemans kriek, after confirming with the brewery that it's pasteurized.

Why? It's pasteurized, so no bugs. It has some sugar which will be fermented by your yeast (which will scrub a lot of the flavors), and what is left will be diluted by 50:1.

I'm not sure Lindemans Kriek is good for much, but I think I would drink it rather than waste it.

Back to the picture. Do the bubbles stay? Is there a sheen (oily covering) on the surface? If so, some Brett may have managed to survive the pasteurization process, and you have a pellicle. Not all pellicles look like mold covering the surface.

Why? It's pasteurized, so no bugs. It has some sugar which will be fermented by your yeast (which will scrub a lot of the flavors), and what is left will be diluted by 50:1.

I'm not sure Lindemans Kriek is good for much, but I think I would drink it rather than waste it.

Back to the picture. Do the bubbles stay? Is there a sheen (oily covering) on the surface? If so, some Brett may have managed to survive the pasteurization process, and you have a pellicle. Not all pellicles look like mold covering the surface.

This is something that Ommegang does in their Three Philosophers, blends in a kriek at a 2% concentration to add some tartness and fruity character. That was the inspiration for this idea. I think the above posters are probably correct, some residuals from krausen.

Back