Secondary Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tohadlock

Reaction score
Hey,

I have created my very first batch of extra/grain batch using a Brewer's Best Red Ale ingredient kit.

I was planning on moving to a secondary fermenter (5 gal glass carboy) after about 7 days, allowing the brew to stay in the secondary for about another week, bottling and allowing the bottles to sit for at least 2 weeks.

Does this sound OK?

Also, I have been keeping the primary fermenter (6.5 gal glass carboy) about 70 degrees. Does the secondary also have to stay that warm? I was wanting to put it in my basement but it is about 60 +/- degrees.

Can I store my secondary fermenter at 60 degrees?

Thanks,

Tim

tohadlock said:
Hey,

I have created my very first batch of extra/grain batch using a Brewer's Best Red Ale ingredient kit.

I was planning on moving to a secondary fermenter (5 gal glass carboy) after about 7 days, allowing the brew to stay in the secondary for about another week, bottling and allowing the bottles to sit for at least 2 weeks.

Does this sound OK?

Also, I have been keeping the primary fermenter (6.5 gal glass carboy) about 70 degrees. Does the secondary also have to stay that warm? I was wanting to put it in my basement but it is about 60 +/- degrees.

Can I store my secondary fermenter at 60 degrees?

Thanks,

Tim

Cooler secondary temps are just fine. It will aid in clarifying the beer. The colder the temp, the more the yeast and sediment will fall out and clear your beer. Moving to the 2nd in 7 days should be fine, but I would make sure and take hydrometer readings a few days in a row and make sure your fermentation has stopped. A good rule of thumb is 2 weeks in the secondary and three weeks in the bottles for the best beer.

Schedule sounds fine, to me. Ditto on what Beirmuncher sez about the 1,2,3 schedule for primary, seconday and bottles.
I try to keep my ales between 65-70. Getting harder now the outside temps are warming!
Secondary at 60 is no problem. Even ales will benefit from a period of cool temps.

Back