Spice tea - water or vodka?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Hi all. In researching the best way to make a spice tea for my pumpkin ale, I've seen people on the site claim that vodka is a better "delivery mechanism" for the spices because it draws out flavor more and better disburses the spices throughout the beer. Apparently, water can bind with the spices and settle them out on the bottom of the keg.

I was curious if anyone can speak from experience on whether this holds true? Is vodka the better option?

Thanks!

While water is the universal solvent, certain flavor compounds in spices are only alcohol-soluble. (This is a compelling reason to add wine or vodka to tomato sauces, btw.) Since vodka is alcohol+water, you'll get the best of both worlds. :) Use vodka. I don't see how water or vodka would affect either "settling" or "even dispersion".

(Other compounds are fat-soluble, but that usually presents other problems with beer re: head retention, rancidity, &c.)

While water is the universal solvent, certain flavor compounds in spices are only alcohol-soluble. (This is a compelling reason to add wine or vodka to tomato sauces, btw.) Since vodka is alcohol+water, you'll get the best of both worlds. :) Use vodka. I don't see how water or vodka would affect either "settling" or "even dispersion".

(Other compounds are fat-soluble, but that usually presents other problems with beer re: head retention, rancidity, &c.)

This is an incredibly interesting response. Thank you. I was previously leaning towards using vodka, but this probably seals it. It will be a negligible amount anyway; maybe half a cup.

As for tomato sauce, I will follow directions on that. :mug:

Back