New Zealand Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaosbourne

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could purchase New Zealand hops online? I am particularly interested in getting my hands on some Pacific Gem.

Thanks

Rebelbrewer has several varieties in stock (or they did, last I checked the site). You might try there. Couldn't say if they have Pacific Gem or not.

Wow, this place has a lot of different kinds of hops. Do you know if they are typically fresh? Are they stored properly, and disposed of when their shelf life has run?

Seven Bridges in Santa Cruz, CA has them and they ship. Last I checked they had Pacific Gem, Rakau, NZ Cascade, and NZ Hallertau. Maybe some others as well. I abolutely love the Rakau and Cascade for Ales, and the Hallertau adds a really nice fruitiness to a Hefe. Pacific Gem hasn't been my favorite but maybe I haven't found the right application for it.

I got all mine from brewmasterswarehouse. Love the NZ hops.

And the Pacific Gem, is my opinion, best as a bittering hop. I use it in my NZ hopped Dogfish clone.

Wow, this place has a lot of different kinds of hops. Do you know if they are typically fresh? Are they stored properly, and disposed of when their shelf life has run?

I've ordered from them a number of times. I've never toured their facilities or anything, but I've never gotten anything but good service and quality ingredients from them, either. They usually have some kinds of hops on sale, and I'm guessing those are the older ones. Check their news sections: I think their recent crop of NZ hops arrived just about 2 months ago. If they have any kind of brains there (and they seem to), their hops will be sealed and frozen.

I'd add to the voices here on Pacific Gem. I used in in conjunction with Riwaka, so I can't say for sure which was which. But the resulting beer had a heavy, funky berry note to it which wasn't all that pleasant. From what I've read about Pac Gem, that sounds like its input there.

Nelson Sauvin, on the other hand, is awesome.

That berry note was the Pacific Gem. I made a small-batch APA with it. Terrible; the berry note was akin to a really pungent raspberry. My wife now cooks with that batch. I have used it as a bittering hop a couple of times and thought it worked really well in that role.

Nelson Sauvin IS awesome, but this summer I really got to appreciate the Super Alpha and Moteuka (especially together).

Did this thread need this comment? No. But I just can't stop gushing about NZ hops!

That berry note was the Pacific Gem. I made a small-batch APA with it. Terrible; the berry note was akin to a really pungent raspberry. My wife now cooks with that batch. I have used it as a bittering hop a couple of times and thought it worked really well in that role.

Nelson Sauvin IS awesome, but this summer I really got to appreciate the Super Alpha and Moteuka (especially together).

Did this thread need this comment? No. But I just can't stop gushing about NZ hops!

Yeah, from what I've read, that berry note came from Pac Gem. Not good. For me, in the young beer, it was really even harsher and tasted almost like plastic. And no, I don't have chloro phenols in any of my beers. It was a weird berry/plastic taste. The plastic has since faded, but that super pungent, and not pleasant berry taste still comes through way, way, way too much. I won't use that hop again for aroma.

Haven't used those other two yet but think I have some Motueka in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back