Hop Aroma and Flavor Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
Last night, I took a friend's advice the brew kettle covered in the ice bath during the cooling stage, meaning that it probably took 28 minutes or so to get cool (which is a good bit longer than normal). I did this because he was concerned about sanitation and bugs in teh ambient air.

In retrospect, I'm guessing that this potentially screwed up my flavor and aroma additions as the late addition hops sat in the kettle in very hot water for too long. My guess is that A) they didn't impart as much flavor and aroma as I would've liked and B) the late hop additions released more IBUs than I hoped for. Time will only tell though.

What are your thoughts?

FYI the hop additions are here.

1 @ 15 Simcoe
1 @ 15 Amarillo
1 @ 10 Columbus
1 @ 10 Centennial
1 @ 5 Amarillo
1 @ 5 Simcoe
1 @ 0 Columbus
1 @ 0 Centennial

B) the late hop additions released more IBUs than I hoped for

You don't have to worry about this. If the water isn't boiling, IBUs aren't going to change.

The weak link in my brewing equip is the chiller. It took 40 minutes for an IPA I brewed recently to cool. I had about four oz of late hop additions, two being at flame-out.

I sampled it yesterday and the aroma is spectacular.

In my experience, if you can get the wort below ~150 pretty quickly, the aroma hops don't suffer. I've even added them when the wort has cooled slightly, ~ 180ish, pasteurization temp. You'll be fine.

Sorry. I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I was just looking for addition feedback about item "A", which smizak kindly supplied.

Thanks to all who responded.

Sorry. I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I was just looking for addition feedback about item "A", which smizak kindly supplied.

Thanks to all who responded.

Oh, no, no ruffled feathers. I was just explaining the reason you didn't get much in the way of responses. Both answers were good, and would have gotten a "Yep" out of me and probably most others.

Back