What did I just make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CABeerMaker

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my closet while I was brewing and decided to use some of the extras I had left over. Now I can't decide what type/style I just brewed.:confused:
5# Pale LME
1# Crystal 40
1# Crystal 120
8oz Chocolate Malt
1# honey
1 oz Amarillo 60 min
1oz Amarillo 5 min
Wyeast 1056

SG 1.054

Its definitely dark, almost as dark as the chocolate porter I made last Dec.
At least I know it will be beer!

side note: kids knocked hydrometer off counter and is now cracked:(, unfortunately LHBS was closed, don't know how accurate gravity reading is.

hmm sounds interesting, i think you've got an american style stout on your hands. not a bad way to use up some left overs before they go bad.

Well, I guess the general concensous is chocolate honey porter. Just bottled tonight. Picked up new hydrometer and FG is 1.010. A little lower than I was expecting but still good. Tatsed the sample and not as sweet as I was expecting considering all the crystal and had a nice hop aroma. We'll see how it conditions, I am planning on letting it set about 4 weeks before I tear into it. Will update again after that. Thanks for the input.

OK, tried a bottle. It has carbonated nicely with about a 2" head. Nice dark brown color and creamy light brown head. Tastes similar to the pale ale I made last summer with a hint of dark roasted flavor, probably from the chocolate malt. Not as heavy a flavor as a porter or stout and a hint sweeter than the brown I make. Has a nice hop nose and fairly full hop flavor, those amarillos sure stepped out nicely. All in all, not a bad way to use up some leftovers.

A guy in my hb club always says it's foolish to determine the style of a beer before it's actually tasted. Sounds like this would be good advice in this case. To me, I would call it an American Honey Brown but that's just me. Whatever you call it, it's beer.

Back