3 months in primary - referment in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipscman

Reaction score
I've gotten waaaaay behind. Forgot all about a Doppelbock I brewed on Christmas day. Triple decoction, the whole nine. It's been in a plastic bucket fermenting at 50 degrees for over three months! So I'm aware there will be some issues with oxygen uptake through the plastic. But its beer, right? I promise not to keep it forever. I'll drink it faster than planned.

So, tomorrow, I plan to sugar prime this into bottles. I originally used Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. Do you think I need to referment (add fresh yeast in the wort) due to the length of time it has been since it went into fermentation (i.e., possible autolysis, lots of dead cells); or is there enough viable yeast remaining after all this time to perk-up, consume some dextrose and produce some carbonation?

You can add new yeast when bottling to the pail if you are worried. Bottle as normal.
It will be fine. I have had my beer for over a year in a keg and it is still good.

If there is any autolysis, it will be obvious. Most likely the yeast are fine and will carbonate normally.

Forgot because I did 23 all grain brews in 6 months and that one was my only lager, hid away in a different cold closet.

;-)

Back