Bands you should like, but don't.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Anti-beatles guy here, there were so popular I should like them, but I just don't get it.

And another vote for Slayer, I should like them because I grew up listening to all that thrash & speed metal, but I just never could get into them.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about Dream Theater. They are hit or miss for me, sometimes it's all I want to listen, but at times I just can't get passed the singing. This one doesn't really pertain to the thread because I do like them, I just have to be in the right mood to listen to them.

Beck is one that in theory I should like but don't.

Beck is gibberish, mixed with new age disco.
I never did like him.

I never liked green day or the offspring. Even though they got big while I was in high school. They are kind of like punk light.

hello?

AC/DC?

I should like them because apparantly everyone does, considering all the rock stations play about four of their songs per hour. I HATE them.

And green day.. like ACDC.. hear them all the time.. they must like ACDC considering both bands have played the same three chords in all of their songs..

and why does the singer for green day sound a little british? he's from the us.. oy!

oh and being a metallica fan.. you try playing that fast when yer 50 :p and heffy's voice blew out in '91 i believe, and sucked live since. he's been doing the "ooho oh oh oooooOOOOhhh's" since then but the crowd sings a lot of songs anyway. seen them twice last year :rockin: they didn't play anything made in the 90s including black album

I don't even want to know what you listen to...

This proves one of two things: You are not a fan of music or you have no ears.

Ok, why not let me in on the secret awesome bands that I somehow failed to appreciate during my 20s?

Oh yeah.... Dylan does nothing for me either. I could maybe appreciate his songwriting more if I had never heard him singing (if that's what you want to call it).

Oh, add Metallica to my list. I like metal, but I despise Metallica. And it doesn't help that so many Metallica fans try to throw around technical prowess when you happen to mention you don't like the band. I don't really care. There's more to music than how hard it is to play. Sometimes simple is better.

Does this qualify?

I like touring jam bands. Bunch of guys I know traveled with Phish. I never "understood" why they liked Phish. I liked their really mainstream stuff but thought most of their stuff was crap. I disliked them so much that I always passed on the opportunity to go to shows with my friends; and I couldn't understand why they were wasting their time.

Then I got free tickets to their show 8/11/09 at Toyota Park in Chicago. It was absolutely amazing. The energy in that place was like nothing I have ever seen. The lighting was amazing, and the band was on point. Best show I have been to in my life and I have seen some heavy hitters.

Funny thing - I still don't like the music. I would however go to a show right now without hesitation.

Not to be a dick....but this is the one of the reasons the band took a hiatus (other than Trey's habit)....:(

what kind of metal bands do you listen to? I'm always lookin for some good new music

I never know what fits exactly into metal. The definition seems to have changed somewhat over my lifetime. I still remember when Def Leppard was considered metal but I don't think it is anymore. Here are some bands that I consider metal that I like. Sorry, but there's probably not a whole lot of new in there for you.

Judas Priest
Helmet
Quiet Riot
Dokken
Pantera
Anthrax
I friend of mine recently got me into listening to Mayhem and Wolfmother.
Does Stormtroopers of Death count? I always thought of them more as a punk band so maybe they don't.
I've also always had a soft spot for Corrosion of Conformity.

I hate these three:
  • Bob Seger
  • Eric Clapton
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn

Now, "Green Jello" is a different story! :rockin: Watch the last bit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Every red blooded Canadian seems to love the Tragically Hip. It seems like for the last part of the nineties and early part of the new millenium, they couldn't play a single 'Hip' song without some silly inebriate seeking me out just to let me know that 'Dude, I love that song!'

And I would nod, because I didn't want to be 'that guy'. I mean seriously, its folksy rock, I love that stuff. My musical tastes are as far ranging as just about anyone I know. In fact I will go as far as saying that with the possible exception of some 'death metal' and some of the more experimental classical styles, I can listen to just about anything...well except for RUSH, I mean a guy has to have limits.

Anyway sometime in late 2005, they stopped playing 'New Orleans is Sinking' for some reason. And then you just didn't really hear them any more. I mean they had other songs, but that seeemed to really mark a turning point. Thank God. I mean seriously, did they just not get much play time in the States? Did people actually like them?

I scanned 10 pages of this thread, and didn't find a single mention of the Hip.

Gawd.

I mean seriously?

Maybe it's just me....

First one that came to mind is O.A.R.. As a rock fan I'm supposed to like OAR, but nothing about them appeals to me. Oh, and Van Halen...he just bores the hell out of me.

Oh, and Van Halen...he just bores the hell out of me.

Who is the "he" to are referring to??? Dave, Sammy, or Gary??? if is is either of the latter two, I will let it slide, but if you are referring to Diamond Dave...then I will say good day too you!!!:mad:

So I'm 29 years old and fairly nerdy. By all accounts I should worship Radiohead, but I can't stand them. There was just never a "hook" to their music for me. In fact, I dislike their influence on contemporary rock pretty intensely.

As for "classic" rock, I hate Rush for reasons mentioned above; Geddy Lee's vocals are incredibly annoying, and the lyrics are beyond pretentious. Maybe Neal Peart is a genius, but every jazz drummer I listen to does stuff that I find more interesting with a much smaller kit. Rush are great musicians, but their stuff doesn't grab me.

I also love the Grateful Dead and can't stand Neil Young, which is an apparent paradox.

Another one that I don't get, and definitely wouldn't consider it "one that I SHOULD love" is Taylor Swift. I don't get it. That girl cannot sing, and sounds absolutely horrible on every live performance I've heard on TV. (swmbo has CMT on every saturday morning) I'd rather hear my dogs howl at the moon.

No one...let me repeat, NO ONE, with the POSSIBLE exception of pre-pubescent girls, should like Taylor Swift!

Ok, on with my list:

Journey-LOVED their early stuff, but Steve Perry "gayed" them up
Bon Jovi
Rush-I keep hearing that I should love them, but I don't get it
REM
U2-love their early stuff, up until "Boy". That's about when Bono started taking himself WAY too seriously
VanHalen-I find it hard to take Dave seriously
Beatles
Tom Petty
Genesis-after Gabriel left

Who is the "he" to are referring to??? Dave, Sammy, or Gary??? if is is either of the latter two, I will let it slide, but if you are referring to Diamond Dave...then I will say good day too you!!!:mad:

Sammy is who I was referring too, but Gary too. Some of the old stuff is OK, but the rest I just don't Care for.

128898568646124700.jpg

VanHalen-I find it hard to take Dave seriously

LOL! That's the whole point about Dave! You're not supposed to take him seriously!

And man I like Gary Cherone with Extreme, but his VH album was AWFUL!

For Christ's sake I wish Eddie would just record some sort of instrumental guitar album. F the singers.

I was going to add REM to my list since someone else mentioned them, but then I realized that there was actually no reason that SHOULD like them! :D

Ok, why not let me in on the secret awesome bands that I somehow failed to appreciate during my 20s?

I could make a long list of bands for you but that wasn't really my point. The idea that all music since 1990 sucks is like saying all breweries started since 1990 suck. Its just silly, and wrong.
If you are genuinely interested tell me what genre of music you listen to most and I will add to your listening pleasure. Unless of course its country or top 40, because almost all of that IS crap. :rockin:

I doubt the object of this thread is to delve into hidden jems of music, but to highlight well-known and respected bands that somehow fail to impress us. The 90's bands I was referring to were the bands that everyone would have heard of. I.E. popular music.

For the life of me I just can't think of any that were worth noting. I realize there is a huge underground music industry with some very interesting bands, but frankly I don't care to poke around hunting for them. The "Industry" ought to be doing that for us. But they aren't, which is why I vote to shut them all down. The crap that is spewing out, for the most part, today is not worth listening to. Yeah, there are a couple of songs now and again that I think are catchy, but as a whole I just can't stand to tune into the modern music stations.

So which popular bands from the 90s on were worth adoring?

So which popular bands from the 90s on were worth adoring?

Pearl Jam

Soundgarden

The Black Crowes

The White Stripes (very late 1990s)

Green Day (not my favorite, but they rock)

All, of course, submitted for your rejection. As a kid born in 1980, I feel like the rock in the 1990s was pretty good, though it was a marked turn away from guitar gods and arena rock in a lot of ways. Also, by the end of the decade, Napster and the internet were decentralizing rock music in particular- the best bands now don't get a lot of mainstream radio play, but I'd put groups like The Arcade Fire on the more recent list as well. The Industry may be abandoning rock, but don't blame the bands.

Pearl Jam

Soundgarden

The Black Crowes

The White Stripes (very late 1990s)

Green Day (not my favorite, but they rock)

All, of course, submitted for your rejection. As a kid born in 1980, I feel like the rock in the 1990s was pretty good, though it was a marked turn away from guitar gods and arena rock in a lot of ways. Also, by the end of the decade, Napster and the internet were decentralizing rock music in particular- the best bands now don't get a lot of mainstream radio play, but I'd put groups like The Arcade Fire on the more recent list as well. The Industry may be abandoning rock, but don't blame the bands.

I can agree with Pearl Jam for an album or two. And I like Green Day, except I am not fond of the turn they've taken recently.

The rest I like a song or two from, but none of them I would consider bands that I ought to like, mostly due to the fact that they didn't have enough success to show their work. White Stripes sound is actually pretty good to me, but I don't know enough about them to form the opinion that I *ought* to like them. Maybe if they had a few more hits?

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, JIMI... This is if I had to base my opinion on his popular tunes. He had a blues album of his that really showed his talent. But except for Little Wing, I'm not a fan. It could be that I think his vocals are very bad.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, JIMI... This is if I had to base my opinion on his popular tunes. He had a blues album of his that really showed his talent. But except for Little Wing, I'm not a fan. It could be that I think his vocals are very bad.

You've gotta love Hendrix for the direction he took the guitar. No one else came close to what he did at that point. IMO, the most important electric guitar players ever were Les Paul and Hendrix.

Collective Soul

I am not saying they are terrible or anything, I just don't like their music and can't understand how they became so popular.

You've gotta love Hendrix for the direction he took the guitar. No one else came close to what he did at that point. IMO, the most important electric guitar players ever were Les Paul and Hendrix.

Uh oh, are you going to change the topic to who was the best/most important guitar player ever? I am not going to touch that one being a guitar player myself. ;)

That's the whole point of the thread, though. You can respect Jimi because you know how important he was... but there can still just be something about his music that you don't connect with even though you may like similar artists.

Personally, I'm not in that camp; love me some Jimi.

Uh oh, are you going to change the topic to who was the best/most important guitar player ever? I am not going to touch that one being a guitar player myself. ;)

Not in the least. Just responding to the previous post. Knowing some people's musical tastes here, I'm afraid to even go in THAT direction!!!

That's the whole point of the thread, though. You can respect Jimi because you know how important he was... but there can still just be something about his music that you don't connect with even though you may like similar artists.

Personally, I'm not in that camp; love me some Jimi.

Understandable. See above.

I didn't say I didn't appreciate Hendrix for his contribution to the world of guitar playing. I just don't like HIS playing (mostly). His sound was mushy. Most of the time I can't understand his guitar and I'm not even sure it was in tune most of the time!

But He DID inspire many great players over the years, including one of my favorites, Joe Satriani. So I will firmly put him in the category of Band I *OUGHT* to like, but don't. In the sense that I don't put one of his albums in the player and listen through.

And Side Note - Les Paul was an under-appreciated genius on guitar. Not only was he a very capable musician, but perhaps the biggest contributor of the electric guitar itself.

I didn't say I didn't appreciate Hendrix for his contribution to the world of guitar playing. I just don't like HIS playing (mostly). His sound was mushy. Most of the time I can't understand his guitar and I'm not even sure it was in tune most of the time!

:off:
One of the guitarists in my band, WAY back when, had a bootleg of Hendrix playing in...Copenhagen, I think. The disk started out with about 5 minutes of Jimi playing solo, and when he stops, the audience went nuts! Hendrix then says something to the effect of, "If you liked that, you'll really like it when I'm done tuning up."

Collective Soul

I am not saying they are terrible or anything, I just don't like their music and can't understand how they became so popular.

I like Collective soul. Catchy guitar riffs and vocals. Nothing very fancy going on, but interesting tunes.

Well, so far RUSH is in the lead for "Band most people ought to like but don't".

After lurking for a while, I see a thread I can contribute to:

The Eagles.

I want to puke every time I head "Hotel California", and that taints every other song of theirs for me.

But He DID inspire many great players over the years, including one of my favorites, Joe Satriani. So I will firmly put him in the category of Band I *OUGHT* to like, but don't. In the sense that I don't put one of his albums in the player and listen through.
\

Funny, I love Hendrix, and while I admire the hell out of Satriani's chops (I mean, holy cow can that guy play), his music doesn't really move me.

After lurking for a while, I see a thread I can contribute to:

The Eagles.

I want to puke every time I head "Hotel California", and that taints every other song of theirs for me.

I was gonna post the relevant clip from The Big Lebowski, but the language could get someone fired. Nonetheless, I hate the f***ing Eagles, man.

Back