Keg Tags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
How does everybody keep track of their kegs?

I saw the thread about the blackboard paint. However, in a kegerator with a tight fit, it would be hard to read, and condensation will make the chalk run.

I'm thinking of trying luggage tags, the inexpensive plastic kind. It should not be too hard to make little sheets that have the information as to what is in the keg that will fit in the tag.

I have tape on the ends of my tubes both gas and beverage with numbers so I can match them up. And I only have four taps so it's not to hard to remember what's what. It helps that I have a few different looking kegs too. Black rubber, blue rubber, double handle, single handle.

I use cheap merchandise tags from Office Deopt. The tag follows the beer from fermenter to keg. Nuthin' fancy.

tag.jpg

I use hardcard tags that tie onto the handles. Picked them up at the dollar store. About five inches of thread and the tag is about 1" by 2". I put the brew date and style on the tag and use BeerSmith to keep track of what is what.

I found some plastic luggage tags at a dollar store, three per card. They are long enough to hook through the handles and the plastic front guards against leakage.

I found some plastic luggage tags at a dollar store, three per card. They are long enough to hook through the handles and the plastic front guards against leakage.

OK, that is what I am thinking of. I need to find a cheap supply, did you get them at "Dollar General"?

I marked the gas and beer lines in my keezer and carb fridge with hash marks a few inches back from the couplers using a fresh Sharpie. Helped for initial setup - and if I ever change out more than one keg at a time. The hash marks haven't faded in years. Sharpies rule!

I tag my kegs with generic card stock tags, roughly 1.5 x 2.5 inches and with the string loops already attached. $2.50 per hundred. When I keg a batch I make up a pair of tags (using a Sharpie again) that go on the keg as it heads to the carb fridge, then when it makes it to the keezer I hang one of the tags on the faucet just behind the coupler nut. Haven't had a real problem with moisture, unless I trapped a tag between the keg and keezer wall during high summer. My next keezer has a lot more room within and that problem should never happen...

The operation is solidly appliance oriented, not an art show ;)

Cheers!

I wound up using cheap cardboard tags with twine. Like price tags, they come in 100 packs for a buck or two.

I write the info on the tag, then use clear packing tape to seal the tag up. It's fairly beer and water proof.

The twine loop attaches the tag to the keg handle.

Cheap and disposable.

price-tag-art.jpg

I wound up using cheap cardboard tags with twine. Like price tags, they come in 100 packs for a buck or two.

I write the info on the tag, then use clear packing tape to seal the tag up. It's fairly beer and water proof.

Cheap and disposable.

price-tag-art.jpg

I use a larger red version of this. And, rubber bands to hold it on the keg. Mine don't come with the string.

This is EZ and cheap and what I use as well. I used to put some clear tape over it to keep beer off of them, but I stopped that since I can use the back side for a different brew later on.

By the way, I'm cheap!

Cheap and disposable.

price-tag-art.jpg

Blue painters tape with a Sharpie. Cheap and effective

I do the same thing. I start with tape on the fermenter with style, OG and date into fermenter. then add strips of tape with each change--additions, FG, etc. When I keg I move any strips of tape from the fermenter and place them on the keg along with another strip that has the date into keg and ABV. This way, one look I get style, gravities, additions, and important dates along with ABV.

I use the Kegtrak tags, write on them with a whiteboard marker, so can reuse them. There same material as a credit card, so nice and sturdy.
They also have a QRCode on them so can scan them with there App. Its stores all the info of the Keg, whats in it etc. Helps to keep track of when seals were replaced. They were $12 for a set of 4 incl Postage.
KegTrak2.png

My kids had a birthday party and they had a bunch of those crack and glow bracelets from the dollar section at Target. When they were used up, I thought, hey, these would work good for attaching tags to kegs. So, I just punched a hole in a zip loc bag and slip in a piece of paper with what's in the keg, date brewed, date kegged etc. then attach it to the keg.

Back