All-Grain Brewers: How long does your typical brew day take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5-6 hours. Batch sparge, two cooler one kettle gravity setup, and grain is already crushed from lhbs. I start with cool water.

Today I was done in 4.5 hours, but I had setup everything the night before and had my strike water in the kettle ready to go.

4 hours and 40 minutes this morning from turning my flame on to taking the baby from my wife after cleaning up!

I really try and get as much stuff done prior to the actual brew day.

On the brew day itself: 4 1/2 hours.

Prior to the brewday:

Add water to HLT and MT, and create water profile.
Start the starter on Thursday night.
Friday night, fill out brewday sheet,

Saturday morning, fire up the hlt and bring to boil. I dont count this as part of the brewday, because I usually do this before I even have coffee.

6 hours including the trip to Home Depot for propane, and to the LHBS for ingredients. 5 hours from starting actual work to finishing cleaning up. Since this was my first brew outside with propane, this includes a bit of time for setting up new hoses, a new CFC and getting things into the right place.

This is for a 5 gallon batch with a 60 minute mash, 20 minutes fly-sparging (was aiming for 30 minutes) and 60 minute boil. Cooling in the CFC to about 78F in the fermenter, and then leaving it to cool to 70F for pitching in my fermentation chamber. I'm sure I can do it half an hour or so faster next time.

Back