New bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0nni3

Reaction score
Am in the market for a new bag. I currently use a yard and a half of nylon mesh I got from a fabric store. It leaves more solids in my beer that I want it to. What is a good bag that filters real well?

+1 on the 5 gallon paint bags, easy to clean and last a good bit. $3.97 for two at home depot.

I've used the 5 gallon paint strainer bags and they do work. I have also now used the voile type material and had my mother, SWMBO doesn't sew, sew me a bag that would fit the basket on my 15 gal Bayou Classic pot. I actually like the voile better and my effeciency went up. I think that might have been the fact that the voile actually fit and had a flat bottom, where the paint bags kind of hung in the basket and caused the grain to "funnel" to the bottom of the bag and trapping the grain there. The voile allows the grain to move around more.

I've used both. The paint strainer bags are a good option. The issue is that they have much larger holes and you can't use a fine crush easily without bleeding malt flour debris. I found that it was MUCH easier to stir the mash with my voile bag (not sure why) and I had less malt debris.

Back