thimble berry beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
There is lots of thimbleberries fruiting in the woods here right now and i was wondering if anyone has ever brewed with them? If so how did it turn out and do you still have the recipe?

What do they taste like? I have used different berries but never thimbleberries. I would give it a shot if they taste pleasant.

Salmonberries and thimbleberries are actually two different berries but they are both relatives of blackberries and raspberries. I beleive people often mistakenly call thimbleberries salmonberries not knowing the difference.

Salmonberries are like a raspberry and are an orange color when ripe. They have a bitter sweet flavor that is ok but not great. They may be good in beer because the bitterness might complement the hops.

Thimbleberries are red in color and relatively flat like an acorn hat. In my opinion they have a similar but better flavor than raspberries but they are not quite as sweet and are very seedy. In a beer though it wouldn't matter if they were not super sweet because the sugars would ferment and the seeds would settle out. They are a lot of work to harvest though because you don't get many berries off of a single plant at the same time.

Back