TRAGEDY: My first A.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volsfan5012

Reaction score
I fear failure. So I researched very hard and studied everything I could before I jumped into all-grain brewing. I had already made 14 batches with extracts and steeped grains with resounding success. I strived for the same moving forward to A.G.
I chose wisely for my first recipe, an APA that I tweeked to my particular taste…
I wish so much that in this remote part of West Tennessee that I had someone around who I could observe and learn from, maybe a brew club even. But, I’m gonna give it a try, on my own. I must admit this was easier than it appeared to be, once I got started.
Everything appeared to go as planned. Fermentation was as expected from my re-cultivated and wash American Ale yeast. I kegged it up Tuesday the 15th. I got a sample. Delicious! Absolutely the best beer I ever made. Maybe the best I had tasted at this stage of production. I juiced the CO2 up to 20 psi, I will be enjoying this one by the weekend…
Here’s where the TRAGEDY strikes. I have made two more all-grain batches since this and they are in various stages of fermentation now. I went to get the Kolsch from my “keezer” where it is in the secondary. CRAP! I have 4 gallons of beer in the bottom of my keezer! Turns out, the seal on the liquid side of my keg (at the ball lock) had a slight nick in it. I lost all but a gallon or so of my first all-grain masterpiece!
I guess all is not lost. I will get to have a few cold ones from “my first”. And, I will always have this story to tell :(

Back