Safety first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroadStreetBrewery

Reaction score
Well, it was time for my first batch of all grain. A very hoppy IPA. Everything was going as planed and the boil was finished. I decided to haul the 5 gallons or so inside where I had everything sanitized.

I was using a keggle to boil. I tripped when hauling it, splashed near boiling wort on my right arm and right side of my face and eye. I immediately ran to the garden hose and hosed my self down to stop the burn. I tried to look out my eye and everything was blurry. I drove my self up to the ER. I should be ok once the few layers of my cornea grow back. My arm is all red, no blisters yet and should heal up.

Why do I tell you of my stupidity? To make sure it does not happen to someone else. I kept thinking how stupid I was to do something like that and thought of a few things that I will never do again or do different next time.

#1. Ware safety glasses. I use them at work all the time and use them around the house as sun glasses, just this time I had them on top of my head. :eek:

#2. Move everything to the boil pot, not the boil pot to everything else.

#3. If I have to move the boil pot, I will use a lid.

The worst part is I dropped the keggle in my panic and lost all the beer.

Back