March Madness of Beer - Pale Ale House Brew Tourney!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefHophead

Reaction score
I've been brewing and lurking in the forum little while now. One common thing I see is people discussing their 'House Brew'. I feel its time that I developed a house brew of my own. Rather than stumble upon a the first recipe I really like (which I fear will be the only recipe I make of that style), I would like to hold a tournament. A March Madness of beer.

I love American pale ales and IPAs. The goal is to come up with 8 recipes (which I will scale down) that I can start in (4) 2gal fermenters leaving room for krausen say 6L, and secondary in (4) 1gal glass jugs. I plan on following the 1-2-3 method which means 6 weeks for finished brew. I will start 2 sets of brews, one right away, the other a week before the secondaries are empty.

I plan to divide each 1 gallon (say 10 beers finished), 4 beers for the first round, 6 for the finals.

I will pour the four beers in the first batch when they are ready and have my friends (a mix of different kinds of beer drinkers) pair them up and judge them head to head. The same goes for the second 4. The best four of the 4 couplets will go on to the finals where they will go through more head to head parings till a winner emerges.

The point of a house brew is to find something you love that you can have on hand most of the time. Ideally its something enjoyed by many different kinds of beer drinkers, something not too strong that would be good for session consumption, an something that is not too expensive or that includes seasonal\exotic ingredients.

With that in mind I have found a few ~5% APA recipes but I could use a few more good suggestions.

Also anyone have an idea for the 2gal fermenters? Cost is an issue, SWMBO is ok with brewing, but 8 beers at once along with expensive equipment purchases my derail my plan. I have the 1 gallon ones.

In fact does anyone any suggestions at all? I think this is a fun idea and I would love tips, suggestions, or advice. Thanks

I don't have a house ale? But, I am drinking a Haus Ale (EdWort's Haus Ale is a favorite around here).

What you describe, is so complicated it is hurting my head? :drunk:

If you don't have the equipment, why buy it? If you want to have a tasting/competition save several bottles from several batches and have at it.:mug:

If you really want to do it, okay, but I always try to keep it simple. :)

RDWHAHB:tank:

Back