Can I save this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad97z

Reaction score
I recently kegged midwests bourbon barrel old ale kit. I aged it 3 months on the 2oz of toasted oak cubes it came with. Upon trying it, the flavor from the oak was extremely overpowering and smokey, unlike anything i've had in a commercial beer. At this point, i don't want to get rid of the beer, i've tried adding more bourbon to a glass of it to see if that would help but it doesn't end up balancing out and just gets to alcoholic. Can anybody give me some advice on any way i can save this beer, such as adding something like honey, hop extract, or anything to balance the smokey/oak flavor?

It's an old ale. Just stick it in the corner and try it again in six months. You'd probably want to remove the oak cubes, if you haven't done so already.

It's an old ale. Just stick it in the corner and try it again in six months. You'd probably want to remove the oak cubes, if you haven't done so already.

Weirdboys right, oak will fade with time, I only oak for about a week, no more than two. Get the oak out of there NOW, and stick the keg in a warm place for 6 months, it will probably JUST be getting perfect by then.

Yeah, luckily oak can fade. It might not fade as fast as you'd hope, but it can be done. 6 months might be a minimum on this one.

Latest posts

Back