Favorite Belgian Beer Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite Belgian beer?

• Bière de Garde

• Belgian IPA

• Belgian Strong (Dark, Pale) Ale

• Sour Beers (Flanders Oud Bruin, Flanders Red Ale, Gueuze, Lambic)

• Saison/Farmhouse Ale

• Dubbel

• Tripel

• Quadrupel

• Witbier

• Other (Bière de Champagne/Bière Brut, Faro, etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Polls seem to be the cool thing these days and so do Belgian beers, so I figured I'd just combine the two in one thread. What's your favorite Belgian beer and why? Bonus points if you mention a favorite brand, where you first had it, have a story, etc. :mug:

For me, it's a tie between the Dubbel and the Saison. For some reason having a big, high ABV beer makes more sense to me when it's brown and uses dark candi sugar. I guess I don't understand Trippels as much. Quadruppels? Never even had the chance to try one. :( On the other hand, the Saison is great, because it has a great phenolic profile, with a decent alcoholic punch and some nice hop bite. Can't go wrong with that.

I wish there were multiple options on this poll...it's hard to pick just one!

I had to go with the Strong/Dark because I really enjoy Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue). However, I also really like Duvel (Golden), along with several wits, and I recently had a locally brewed Bière de Garde that was fantastic.

I love beer!

I would have to choose saison, they are my fav to brew and drink. Close second would be sour ales.

I'm a sour beer guy so I went with sour beers. Rodenbach Grand Cru is my favorate beer(People who go into the chat already know this). I love Gueuzes and unblended lambic. You just get more complexity with sour beers that you don't get anywhere else.

Yuri_Rage said:
I wish there were multiple options on this poll...it's hard to pick just one!
I couldn't agree with you more. I'd probably click 8 of the 10 options if it had multiple choice. But hey, since you're a mod, why not change it to multiple if you want. :cross:

I can't pick just one, so I chose other. Also a lot of the ones I like are in the other category!

Let's see, I love the basics like Chimay (all varieties) and Duvel. Then there's La Chauffe, which I have no idea what style it is. It's similar to Duvel, but it's a little sweeter and has coriander. I also like Deus (Brut des Flanders).

I've got a lambic(first one, never tried before), Westmalle 10, St. Bernardus 12, and Delirium Nocturnum all in the fridge ready for a very wonderful time. Not all at once though, they cost too damn much.
I voted for quad though. Strong dark and fruity!

Like Yuri, I was struggling. I always struggle with "pick your favorite" polls because that is highly dependent on my mood, time of day, what I am eating, what I am not eating, what I drank yesterday, what I drank today, what city I am in, what time of year it is, if it's snowing, if it's raining, if it's sunny, if the wind is blowing and phase of the moon :fro:

zoebisch01 said:
Like Yuri, I was struggling. I always struggle with "pick your favorite" polls because that is highly dependent on my mood, time of day, what I am eating, what I am not eating, what I drank yesterday, what I drank today, what city I am in, what time of year it is, if it's snowing, if it's raining, if it's sunny, if the wind is blowing and phase of the moon :fro:

sounds like someone I knew.....

I've only really tried the wit beers and lambic. And since I doubt I will be drinking much lambic in the future, the vote goes to the wit. I will be trying more belgians in the future though.

I picked the Belgian IPA - mainly because I like me some hops. Other Belgain styles I am not too familiar with - I've had the big Trappist ales (Duvel and Chimay... and a couple of the Delirium) but have not really had any saisons or soured ales or any of the other wide array of styles.

Tomorrow night I was going up to a brew pub in Fremont that is supposed to have a great selection to take my brother out for his birthday. I may try a few things there - I also need to go to the beer store and pick out a few choice bottles.

oh yeah, favorites:

Gulden Draak, Delirium Nocturnum, Trois Pistoles, Maudite, some of the Unibroue Specialties...i'm sure there are more :D

Alot of the Noël beers that come out durring the holidays are very tasty, too.

NWernBrewer said:
I picked the Belgian IPA - mainly because I like me some hops. Other Belgain styles I am not too familiar with - I've had the big Trappist ales (Duvel and Chimay... and a couple of the Delirium) but have not really had any saisons or soured ales or any of the other wide array of styles.

Sorry to disapoint you but neither Duvel or Delirium are Trappists.

yeah but a trappist is an abbey. They're basically the same thing, just the abbey's are not brewed by monks in one of the eight trappist monasteries.

EinGutesBier said:
Polls seem to be the cool thing these days and so do Belgian beers, so I figured I'd just combine the two in one thread. What's your favorite Belgian beer and why? Bonus points if you mention a favorite brand, where you first had it, have a story, etc. :mug:

For me, it's a tie between the Dubbel and the Saison. For some reason having a big, high ABV beer makes more sense to me when it's brown and uses dark candi sugar. I guess I don't understand Trippels as much. Quadruppels? Never even had the chance to try one. :( On the other hand, the Saison is great, because it has a great phenolic profile, with a decent alcoholic punch and some nice hop bite. Can't go wrong with that.
I have to agree with you. The Saison and dubbel are my favorite Belgians. The triples and quads are a bit much for me, I can enjoy one but do not want to have several at a time. The Saison and dubbel I can enjoy drinking several at a time, especialy the Ommegang Hennepin.

I voted sour. I havent been too impressed by most of the Belgians I've tried. swmbo's cousin made a triple a while back and that's about the best Belgian style I've had.

Back