Mash tun manifold with batch sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
I'm currently looking into brewing with grains and building my mash tun out of a cooler.

Since I don't have much time when I brew, I'll batch sparge instead of fly sparging (I don't mind the lower efficiency).

So I'd like to know if it is necessary to make a manifold in my mash tun if I want to make batch sparges. Does anyone used the two pattern and noticed an increase in efficiency when they switched to a manifold? Did you experience problems without a manifold?

I have just used a stainless braid from a water heater hose, and I haven't had any issues with it in my cooler mash tun.

It does not matter what you use so much when you are batch sparging. As long as you beat the stuffing out of it stirring before you dump it you can open the valve up full blast and let her rip.

I've used both and both worked just fine. The only problem I had with the manifold was that it is solid, so if you hit it with the mash paddle (or your 3 yr old helper does), you can knock it off/apart. The braid just moves and flops back down.

The only thing that would make a manifold increase efficiency in batch sparging is if you can design it to minimize dead space in the tun.

Alright guys, thank for the answer. So looks like I won't complicate it too much already and will use a braid or something like that :)

Back