[Quick help] Cider yeast: Which one to use from my available yeast on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVegas

Reaction score
Ok, I've got a jug of cider from Whole Foods and the following dry yeast on hand:

- Red Star Montrachet (red packet) stamped 2013
- Red Star Cote des Blancs (green packet) stamped 2013
- Muntons Active Brewing Yeast (light yellow packet) stamped 2009

Which one should I use or should I go to my LHBS and get a different yeast? Besides the airlock, yeast, yeast nutrient, is there anything else that I need to get started? What temp to ferment? I have a chest freezer with temp controller. Recipes or links would be appreciated. This is a last minute deal and don't have time to research as I'm leaving town and only have about 1 hour to work on this in the morning.

Thanks!

I did two 1-gallon batches of Whole Food's apple juice a couple of months ago. I used one half of a pack of Cote des Blancs in one of them...

It fermented to about 1.000 sg in seven days at room temperature. I think it was too fast.

I don't have the experience to recommend one yeast over another... but I would suggest slowing the fermentation down if possible. I would try 1/4 of the yeast pack next time and place the bottle in a cooler place.

Personally, I don't like Cotes de Blanc. The cider I made with it took 8 months for the flavor to age out right. I've never tried the Montrachet, but I would go ahead with it.

Thanks! I also read good things about Montrachet. That is what I went with.
thanks...

Back