First Partial Mash advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been brewing from cans for the last year and really done some great beers. A month ago I decided to step up the process and do a mini mash/ partial mash process instead. My brew is now fermenting and all signs are good. Only thing is I notice are loads of little bits floating in the brew when I did a gravity test. Here's what I did:

Took my malted barley and mashed for 1 hour 63 to 65 degree celsius. (No bag straight in the pot) Strained the malted barley use hot water to rinse. Add wort to new pot.

Bring wort to boil and added in the northern hops at start of the hour and 1KG of LDME. Last 15mins added cascade hops and irish moss. Last 10mins added 1 can of LME.

Cooled wort to 37 degrees celsius then strained wort, added water, yeast to my fermentation tank. All the signs of fermentation are good only thing that I'm not happy with seems to be the floaty bits. With the can brewing process there did not seem to be any floaty bits.

Any advice to avoid these floaty bits?

Thanks,
Rob :mug:

My guess is that the grind was too fine, or your bag was not fine enough. I would not worry about it though, as long as it is not excessive. I experienced the same thing when doing partial mashes, and I don't believe it ever effected the flavor.

I would assume that you see proteins and grain particulates. It really shouldn't effect the flavor of your beer, and also it should settle to the bottom of your fermenter. Using Irish moss or whirlfloc will help bring those solids out of solution. Normally in the all-grain brewing one would utilize the grain bed to filter the wort for clarity. In a partial mash, where typically a muslin bag or straining bag is used to steep grains, and is then pulled out out from the mash, all the small stuff will be left behind in the kettle.

Look up a youtube video of how to vorlauf and that visual might help explain.

Back